Pampered Safari


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
August 21st 2014
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -24.6919, 31.7107

Before going to Kruger, we had heard that game viewing could be a bit hit and miss because you are required to stay on the roads and the park can be overgrown. Our Kruger experience turned out to be fabulous and we saw much more than we had hoped for but we had already hedged our bets by booking a few days in one of the more famous private game reserves adjacent to Kruger - Sabi Sands. These reserves are home to some of the most luxurious and expensive lodges in Africa. We picked a mid-range option as I didn't want the Princess exposed to the pampering that goes on in some of these African Shangri-La's (how do I get DH back in a campervan if she's gets used to pedicures before breakfast?).

That said, I'd have a hard time seeing how you'd get much better accommodation than the lodge we were at and, I have to admit, we very quickly got used to having a 'High Tea' break in the middle of our game drives. Don & Jill T (who view First Class as a minimum standard and, coincidently, are in South Africa at the same time we
are but doing a very different tour) might point out that Don doesn't stay anywhere where there is no butler available in the evening to carry him to bed, tuck him in, and massage his temples with lavender oil while reading him the stock market results for the day. Even minus the lavender oil, we had another wonderful series of encounters with African critters which, once again, has resulted in another set of overloaded photo SD cards. But as much as I wore out my camera trigger finger, DH is the safari junkie in this relationship and what follows is her description of our time in Sabi Sands.

The Sabi Sands Reserve had extremely high security and we required clearance just to get in. There was razor wire throughout the entrance and from what we could see of the fence line. Guards, and even a canine unit, patrol the vastness of the park all due to poachers who are largely from neighbouring Mozambique. We had learned that all the parks, both national and private, would not disclose the number of "rhino sightings" during a tour or make mention of the numbers on their web sites because of out-of-control poaching. Sabi Sands
is home to the Big Five – the Lion, African Elephant, Cape Buffalo, Leopard and Black Rhino. For years, there has been a misconception that these five animals were chosen as the Big Five owing to their size. However, the Big Five were selected, sadly, because of the difficulty in hunting them.

Inyati Lodge would be our home for the next four days and three nights - a beautiful lodge - where we have our own little house stocked with everything we needed. The well groomed property was also home to dozens of Kudos, Waterbucks, Nylas, and Impalas who all graze freely as mischievous Verber monkeys. There was a great viewing platform next to the river and a sandy beach where we spent our free time "keeping watch". We no sooner start walking around getting our bearings when we spot a male lion walking along the beach just on the other side of the river. We are cautioned about the "no go" area of the lodge property and are required to have an escort to and from our room after dark. It was very civilized here with an early morning wake-up knock on the door by a ranger to ensure you are not late for the first game drive of the day. We would return for a late breakfast on the deck then race to take up our seated positions on the observation platform down by the river. It often seemed that we had no sooner finished lunch and we would be called back to the lodge for "high tea" with just enough time to get ready for our afternoon game drive at 3:30, which would go well past dark. Dinner was yet another culinary delight and we would stand patiently at our front door for our security escort and always wondered what exactly would happen if something in the night charged us.

Our vehicle was the typical open air variety that we shared with six other enthusiastic travelers. However this "bad boy" of off roading had no fear as it took us over impossible terrain! Our guide/driver was Matt and the tracker was Nelson who sat out front of the vehicle. - Matt was armed with a 405 - they made an incredible team for some fantastic sightings and demonstrated a passion and knowledge of the park and its inhabitants that really personalized our experience.

Our first game drive we came across an event we had not observed before, an extremely fresh kill, which looked to have been orchestrated by that male lion we saw two hours earlier upon our arrival. We got so close to his kill however were totally ignored by "his majesty". Matt explained that they had seen the male Kudo walking along the sandy river bed earlier in the day and that's what probably made the attack so much easier for the lion as the Kudo would never get up to speed in the sand.

You can go off the roads in the private parks and this was some cause for concern for both Vic and I as we didn't want to get into a chase with the animals or interfere with their habits. I have to say the respect and professionalism shown was remarkable. The guides communicated via a radio and were very respectful of each other at some of the sightings and there were never more than two vehicles jostling for the best views.

Elephants bathing in a river is another sight we will never forget - all is right with the world when you spend time observing these behemoths carrying on including water fights, splashing and very loud trumpeting!

During one of our drives here Matt maneuvered our vehicle off the path and positioned us in an area where we soon found ourselves completely surrounded by dozens and dozens of elephants of all ages and sizes who were very slowly on the move - foraging and walking straight at us with a last minute detour - you could reach out and touch these gentle giants but, of course, you didn't. To be among them, close enough to hear them chew as we sat motionless just watching their interactions with each other was such a privilege.

Back at the lodge we heard the lions roaring which continued through most of the night.

We got up close with the cheetah - a bigger hitter to be sure as there are only 130 of them in this park. Inbreeding can be a problem with this animal and their movements have to be monitored closely- they are highly endangered. Unlike the other cats, they are built for speed and not strength, and can be bullied by from a kill by lions or leopards and forced to flee from a much needed meal.

We also saw the one big ticket animal we didn't see in Kruger- the Leopard, which is highly elusive, but we managed incredible sightings of both males and females, with the added thrill of several cubs. Our family encounter was turning into a moving National Geographic photo shoot! They did not disappoint!

The list of animals we saw was phenomenal, and could very well take up the "lions share" of the blog but I will let Vic's photos be the documented evidence of what we saw.

Looking back over his photos, I remember the moment of each and every shot. So yes I do proudly call myself a safari junkie, I feel so much at home here and I am already trying to engage Vic in making plans for a return trip to our beloved Africa. I may be biased but I strongly believe that some of my Vic's best work is his wildlife photography- enjoy.

Our next adventure is on mystical island of Madagascar!


Additional photos below
Photos: 176, Displayed: 27


Advertisement



27th September 2014

That's adorable!
27th September 2014

Everything blends so well!
27th September 2014

Was this the afternoon (return) viewing?
27th September 2014

I don't know about that! Not much meat on those bones!! .....
27th September 2014

They just look like they're chillin'
27th September 2014

Great pix!
27th September 2014

Gotta love that Bird!
27th September 2014

Beautiful Photo!!
27th September 2014

It that one of the Animals where the Female eats the Male for Dinner after copulation??
27th September 2014

hahaha
27th September 2014

I vote this 1 for "best photo"!
27th September 2014

That's nasty!!
27th September 2014

See!?!
27th September 2014

Looks like more than a play fight to me!!
27th September 2014

Another great blog! Phenomenal pictures! How will you two ever be able to return to "normal" life? :)
27th September 2014

Not likely...the males don't hunt...they just come to the table after the females have dinner all ready
27th September 2014

Nice set of teeth!!
27th September 2014

Maybe...
27th September 2014

WOW. Beautiful!
28th September 2014

OMG so close!!!
28th September 2014

beautiful...
28th September 2014

DH I have to agree with you, these are probably the best photos Vic has ever taken. They are amazing and what an experience the two of you have had. Incredible!!! Thank you for sharing your adventures as it is somewhere I will never get!
28th September 2014

Another fantastic installment of my favourite 'series'. You're in the 'pro' leagues now Vic - and have been for a while. Your photos could fund the next series of WOW adventures. Just saying...
28th September 2014

love this one... I completely see why the SD cards are filling up fast!
28th September 2014

great shot! Love this little guy - what colours too.
28th September 2014

Hahahahahahaaaa
28th September 2014

I wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alley!!
28th September 2014

nice perspective. Wow - these shots are all so amazing! I agree Deb - Vic is a natural talent with such a great eye for wild life photography.
28th September 2014

Oh and I so agree...best photo!
28th September 2014

Looks she is laughing as if she got something over him!!!
28th September 2014

Yup - this one wins a prize!
29th September 2014

WOW - There are no words to adequately describe those photos. They gave me goosebumps. Great job Vic.
30th September 2014

Your life is so exciting
30th September 2014

Look at the size of his paws
5th October 2014

He's had a rough night!
5th October 2014

Just gorgeous.
5th October 2014

Very nice head shot. I'm envious!
5th October 2014

A very nice and rare capture of the baby cats.
5th October 2014

DH, the new spotter?
5th October 2014

WOW oh WOW! Amazing photos Vic and a great blog DH. You both are exceptional people. Can't wait for the next posting...
5th October 2014

Great anticipation!.
5th October 2014

They say every picture tells a story. Say no more!
5th October 2014

Great shot! The eyes have it.
5th October 2014

Specular highlights will always draw your eye to it. In this shot, that rule is crucial in seeing the eye.
5th October 2014

Nice timing. Nice capture.!
5th October 2014

As you stated in your blog, you got real close to the elephants and these photos really tell the story.
5th October 2014

Tensions run high after the 30th encounter that day!
5th October 2014

Your cheetah pictures show very nice composition. Very nice!
5th October 2014

"Nice to see you too"
5th October 2014

Very nice.
5th October 2014

DH looks radiant and in her glory on this safari! From the inukshuk of our far north to the safari of south Africa is proof of your world traveller status.
6th October 2014

"You want more, it's been a long night?"
6th October 2014

Monkey business?
6th October 2014

"Hmm, all about tourists!" Great shot.!
6th October 2014

Your images have done a great justice in promoting this venue as a great safari photographic journey. Well done DH and Vic!

Tot: 0.278s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0297s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb