In Search of Cheetah and Sable on way to Skukuza


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
August 24th 2015
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -30.5595, 22.9375

Up and heading to Skukuza but first some cheetah hunting! We took the road to Orpen and turned off on the road toward the waterhole. The guy we talked to last night at dinner was out there as well. He had found the tracks where they were heading down the road and then they disappeared. We followed along with him back and forth for a while and then decided they were not going to show for us. It is interesting to look for the tracks as you ride along. We had seen the guides in Zambia doing this and have tried our hand at this as well. We also talked to one of the safari drivers who said some of the animals do contract TB and this could cause them to drool. We had asked her about the "drooling" lion we had followed the other day.

Headed on our way but first had to detour down Timbavati road to the overlook that gives you a great view to the water. We were very early and there was no one moving about so we continued onward.

Stopped at the S36 picnic area to have a bite to eat. As we drove in there was an elephant up on its back feet drinking from the cistern. We saw others doing this before we drove on.

We stopped at another waterhole, this one very muddy, with water just in the center of it. The
animals would walk in up to two or three feet of mud and when they came from drinking, it looked like they all had black socks on. Hope the rain comes to Kruger!

Around 11am we spot the sable about 5 km from the JonesDam on the S36! There were three of them sitting resting in the shade. So glad we got to see them. Drove on toward a waterhole very near the tar road to Skukuza and some people point to where there are two lions resting under some vegetation.

Got to Skukuza and the spot we were hoping would be available was! Right by the cooking stand and a short walk to the ablutions! Got ourselves set up and walked over to register and get things together for an evening drive. Drove down Waterhole road a short distance and then head on back. Had dinner at the new Cattle Baron restaurant overlooking the river. Nice evening and glad to be back at Skukuza.



Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0272s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb