Lions march at daybreak ( 23rd, pt 1)


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
August 23rd 2015
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -30.5595, 22.9375

During the night we heard several different groups of hyenas and lions sounding off. Out the gate as it opens and head out. Were going the speed limit when came up on a car going slower. Passed them still going the speed limit and had not gone very much further when a blue duiker comes out of the bushes and skids across the road in front of our car. Fortunately we did not hit it and it made it safely across the road. One more reason to go the speed limit when on these roads because you never know when something is coming at you!

Stopped at Ngotsi Dam and were rewarded by being the first people to spot a very nice male lion hanging out there. Watched him for awhile before we headed on. All this around 6:30! Drove on further and were enjoying a lovely group of zebra, giraffe, and wildebeest on the side of the road.

Were getting ready to fix a cup of coffee for us WHEN.......a vehicle drives up to us from the opposite direction...There are four lions up ahead.Set the coffee to the side and off we go. There is a procession of cars moving toward us and we wheel around and join the procession. There are three beautiful lions marching along...all of )them maned. We follow them for quite a distance leapfrogging each other in the procession. We watch them for quite some time and saw an elephant charge on one of them. They finally stopped to rest and we decided to move on.



Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.037s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0335s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb