Red Elephant Near Crocodile Bridge


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
August 12th 2015
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -30.5595, 22.9375

Still #5 at the gate in the morning. Took the Mondolozi road this time. Elephant and zebra and also the male ostrich as well as the korihaan. We were still looking for the cheetah as we drove along. Went to the picnic area to fix our breakfast. This place has an incredibly awesome view. You are on top of a hill and you look down across the veld and can see for many miles. Coming down to the waterhole that is visible to the waterhole was a buffalo herd of over 300 buffalo. They kept coming and coming along the ridge that you could see them spread out across. Once they hit the waterhole some of them started drinking and others moved across to the other side. This is something I do not remember us seeing in our previous trips.

Take some more side roads as we head toward Crocodile Bridge. Saw two more rhino on the road and one of them was very skittish. Consensus is stillthis might have been a black rhino by the behavior and other indicators. We are members of a couple of Kruger sightings groups and the picture of the skittish rhino was posted and many of them think it was a black rhino. The behavior made us think it was a black rhino.

Drove on to Crocodile Bridge but did stop and enjoy the warthogs along the way. There were also some very red elephant along the road side. The soil at this end of the park is very red in color and this could account for the red color.

Stopped at Crocodile Bridge and fixed ourselves a lunch with the help of the birds watching our every move and checking to make sure we did not drop a bite or leave anything unattended! Iced up for the evening and then off for more adventure.

Decided to drive down to Hippo Pools road which we have not done in quite some time. We did not see any hippo but on the opposite bank we did spy six lions resting in the sand. It was quite interesting. One car that drove up were happy to see the lions and another was in search of buffalo and had seen too many lions! So funny.

On the way back drove to the site where we had seen the leopard the night before but there was no activity. Drove to where there was another leopard jam. No one we talked to had actually seen the leopard so this one was a case of "rumour of leopard." Back to camp and off to bed.




Additional photos below
Photos: 51, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb