Stopping at the Picnic Spot


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
September 16th 2014
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

01 Sunrise01 Sunrise01 Sunrise

Ostriches in the early morning sun.
Geo: -28.5306, 30.8958

This morning we were all woken up by Paul at a quarter past five. We had a quick coffee and rusk and then finished packing the car. Eventually we left the camp at half past six, half an hour later than planned. I don't think the elephant came near our lodge last night, as there was no debris on the driveway. Although on the drive out we saw all the damage he had done last night near the reception.

At the start of the drive we saw a couple of ostriches and then it was pretty quiet and I had a nap. We drove the Dakaneni Loop. During the drive giraffe and zebra were seen and only 1 other car.

Just before 9 we arrived at the Dakaneni Picnic Site. Here we got out and stretched our legs. We walked over a little swing bridge to get to the picnic site. Walking through the picnic site led us to a little path that went down to the river. Along the path there were warning signs indicating that there are crocodiles in the area. Due to this sign I was very cautious and constantly scanning the area as I walked along.
02 Knobbly02 Knobbly02 Knobbly

A tree with a very knobbly trunk.


As I stood at the edge of the river I admired the scenery of surrounding hills and the flowing water. Back at the picnic site we had a coffee/tea, fruit and rusks. Then we continued on our morning game drive. Paul then spotted a bird hopping about the branches of a dead tree. We stopped to watch it. It was then identified as a Bearded Woodpecker. As it hopped about it also pecked the branches.

A little further along Paul spotted an unusual sighting in a tree – it was a dead animal hanging over a branch. Using a pair of binoculars Paul confirmed that it was a Slender Mongoose. We all then started to scan the area in the hope of seeing which animal this kill belonged to. It didn't take long to spot the culprits. Sitting in separate dead trees nearby were a pair of eagles. We didn't stay long to watch them, as we didn't want to scare them off their kill.

From this sighting we drove straight towards the gate. We left Ithala Game Reserve at about half past eleven. For the next few hours we would be travelling south to Hluhluwe-Umfolozi Game Reserve.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

03 Croc Warning03 Croc Warning
03 Croc Warning

The warning sign of crocodiles in the nearby river.
04 Wobbly Bridge04 Wobbly Bridge
04 Wobbly Bridge

The wobbly bridge we crossed over to get to the picnic site and the river.
05 Bridge05 Bridge
05 Bridge

This bridge was fun to walk across.
06 Dry River06 Dry River
06 Dry River

The dry river under the bridge.
07 Dry River07 Dry River
07 Dry River

The dry river under the bridge.
08 Picnic Site08 Picnic Site
08 Picnic Site

The picnic site where we stopped for a coffee and rusk.
09 Another Warning09 Another Warning
09 Another Warning

Another sign warning us of crocodiles in the river.
10 River10 River
10 River

We didn't see any crocodiles at the river, just a great view.
11 River11 River
11 River

We didn't see any crocodiles at the river, just a great view.
12 River12 River
12 River

We didn't see any crocodiles at the river, just a great view.
14 Bird14 Bird
14 Bird

An interesting looking bird - speckled body and striped head.
16 Caught16 Caught
16 Caught

A slender mongoose has been caught by a bird of prey.
17 Birds of Prey17 Birds of Prey
17 Birds of Prey

There are two birds of prey in this photo, the culprits behind the dead mongoose in the tree.


Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.032s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb