Animals in the Dry River


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
September 16th 2014
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

01 Sign01 Sign01 Sign

A sign at the entrance of the game reserve.
Geo: -28.21, 32.0059

It was mid-afternoon when we arrived at Umfolozi-Hluhluwe Game Reserve. Two game reserves merged to become one of South Africa's largest game reserves. The reserve has the big 5 animals and is separated by a main tarred road. We were staying in the Umfolozi part of the reserve. On my first visit to South Africa in 2008 I stayed in the Hluhluwe part of the reserve.

Our private bush lodge was only 7km from the entrance, but we had to drive to the rest camp at Mpila which was 19km to do the check-in process. On the way to check-in we stopped at a lookout point. From here we could see the nearly dried up river and six buffalo enjoying the little bit of water that there was. At Mpila while Paul was doing the check-in, we wandered about. There seemed to be a resident adult warthog, so I got close and took a few photos of it.

It was now quarter past 4 and we were all ready to check-in to our accommodation and freshen up. On the drive back to our lodge, we stopped on a bridge which crossed a nearly dried up river. Here we spotted
02 River02 River02 River

A couple of buffaloes at the river.
a dagga boy, standing at the side of the river in a few centimetres of water. He was eating the reeds. Further down the river there was also a single bull elephant eating.

We arrived at Masinda Lodge just before 5pm. This was such an awesome location. From the deck there was a great view of the surrounding bush and we were unfenced, so there was a great chance of wildlife passing through. The lodge was very spacious, 3 bedrooms with their own ensuites, huge lounge room, dining room and a great outdoor area. We all spent some time freshening up. Then as they sat on the deck having a drink, I also had a drink as I prepared dinner in the kitchen.

The only little issue that we might have during our stay is that we are on generator and it is turned off each night at 10pm and back on again at 7:30am. We had a great evening sitting on the deck as we listened to the sounds of the bush and hoping for wild animals to come and visit.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

03 Warthog03 Warthog
03 Warthog

An adult warthog that was wandering around the rest camp when we checked in.
04 Warthog04 Warthog
04 Warthog

The muddy and hairy warthog.
05 Buffalo05 Buffalo
05 Buffalo

A buffalo standing in the water at the edge of the river.
06 River06 River
06 River

The nearly dry river with the buffalo near the grass on the right hand side.
07 In the Water07 In the Water
07 In the Water

The buffalo is still standing in the water.
08 Elephant08 Elephant
08 Elephant

We also spotted an elephant walking in the dry river.


Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0238s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb