Seeing Who Comes to Visit the Waterhole


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
June 26th 2014
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

01 Approaching01 Approaching01 Approaching

A pair of giraffes approaching the wetland area.
Geo: -24.7605, 26.3246

After work this afternoon I spent some time at the hide. Approaching the wetland area were a few giraffe - adults as well as young ones. They slowly bent down and spread their legs to drink water. The giraffe did not spend much time in the area. While I waited for more animals to appear I was able to get some reading done.

This place is one of my favourite ways to de-stress and relax in between working, as usually I am the only one here and it is so quiet and peaceful.

I was then disturbed by a commotion. A baboon had walked towards the waterhole and was chased away by an irritated troop of Banded Mongoose. The mongoose were chasing it and making warning noises. It was a funny sight - a large baboon scared off by much smaller animals. The baboon didn't return this afternoon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

02 Drinking02 Drinking
02 Drinking

One of the giraffes bending over to drink water.
03 Finished03 Finished
03 Finished

The giraffe has finished drinking as is now leaving the area.
04 Chased Away04 Chased Away
04 Chased Away

A baboon being chased away by a troop of Banded Mongoose.
05 Chased Away05 Chased Away
05 Chased Away

The Banded Mongoose continue to chase the baboon away.
06 Standing Ground06 Standing Ground
06 Standing Ground

The mongoose stood their ground and chased him away.


Tot: 0.033s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0165s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb