An Afternoon Game Drive


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
June 24th 2014
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

01 White Rhinos01 White Rhinos01 White Rhinos

A pair of white rhinos that we walked towards.
Geo: -24.7605, 26.3246

This afternoon I went for a game with Paul and his friends Karen & Davey who were staying with us for a few days. A little while into our drive I spotted a pair of white rhinos. They were about 100 metres from the road. They did not notice us. Paul decided that we should walk into the bush and get closer to them. We quietly walked closer to them. Paul constantly checked the direction of the wind. We didn't want them to smell us. Their eyesight is not very good, so there was little chance of them spotting us. We did end up getting quite close to the rhinos as they ate grass. It was a mother and her calf. At one stage the adult rhino started to walk towards us, so we walked back to the car. It was such a nice experience to be on foot, just metres away from this special creature.

We got back in the car and continued our game drive. Soon after, we stopped to watch a couple of warthogs on their knees eating grass. Further along on the open plains we saw many springbok. On the radio we heard about a
02 Closer02 Closer02 Closer

We slowly got closer to the rhinos.
nearby wild dog sighting. There were three other vehicles already watching the dogs, so we had to wait. We slowly drove there. On the way we stopped to watch a couple of ground squirrels.

We finally arrived at the wild dogs sighting. The wild dogs were active and we had to drive to keep up with them. There were three of them. They were running along the track and then they went off into the bush. Paul drove us off road so that we could keep up. The dogs then stopped running and stood still for a little while. They then lay down. We watched them and waited for them to become active again. After five minutes we started to drive away. Suddenly the dogs got up and started to run into the bush. Paul and the other two vehicles followed the dogs as they ran into the bush after an impala. The impala got away. They continued running into thicker bush, but we could not follow them, so we drove back in the direction of the lodge.

On the way back to the lodge we spotted a mother white rhino and her calf and a couple of zebras.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

03 Still not Aware03 Still not Aware
03 Still not Aware

At this stage they were still not aware of our close presence.
04 Spot the Rhinos04 Spot the Rhinos
04 Spot the Rhinos

The view of the rhinos when we got back in the car.
05 On its Knees05 On its Knees
05 On its Knees

The warthog is on its knees as it eats.
06 Plains06 Plains
06 Plains

The Madikwe Plains with springbok in the distance.
07 Springbok07 Springbok
07 Springbok

The springbok are generally found on the plains.
08 Squirrel08 Squirrel
08 Squirrel

A ground squirrel standing next to its burrow.
09 Squirrels09 Squirrels
09 Squirrels

A pair of Ground Squirrels next to their burrow.
10 Wild Dog10 Wild Dog
10 Wild Dog

One of the pack of Wild Dogs.
11 Colours11 Colours
11 Colours

The beautiful colours of the wild dogs.
12 Walking12 Walking
12 Walking

The wild dogs were active and walking behind the leader.
13 Following13 Following
13 Following

The other two wild dogs followed the leader.
14 Three14 Three
14 Three

The small pack of three wild dogs.
15 Stopped15 Stopped
15 Stopped

The wild dogs stopped until a decision was made on which direction to go in.
16 Listening16 Listening
16 Listening

It seems that they are listening to something.
17 Resting17 Resting
17 Resting

They then rested for about five minutes.
18 Up Again18 Up Again
18 Up Again

It was not long before they were active again and getting closer to the impala!
20 Listening20 Listening
20 Listening

Again the wild dogs are using their sense of hearing.
21 Active Again21 Active Again
21 Active Again

Once again they are off and into the bush - we wished them luck as we drove away.
22 Pair22 Pair
22 Pair

A pair of white rhinos - nearly hidden among the long, dry grass.
23 Zebra23 Zebra
23 Zebra

A zebra captured in beautiful light at sunset.


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0348s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb