Driving Around


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
July 15th 2012
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

01 Scenery01 Scenery01 Scenery

The scenic game reserve with a view of the Drakensberg Mountains in the distance.
Geo: -28.4699, 29.9433

This morning we set out for the safari at about 7am. Again it was another crispy, fresh start to the day. This morning's drive was pretty quiet, but still enjoyable. We viewed nice scenery and could see the snow capped Drakensberg Mountain range in the distance. We saw wildebeest walking in the long grass away from us, ostriches, zebras, kudu, warthogs and waterbuck.

It was now time for a coffee and biscuit break. Brett parked the car by a dam. We enjoyed our break with a scenic view.

Back on the road we came across a mother hippo and her two young hippos sleeping in the grass. It was very cute to see them peacefully sleeping. Across the dam we noticed about a dozen more hippos. These ones were also sleeping. We then arrived back at the lodge for brunch and a rest.

After brunch we relaxed around the lodge and our room. From our deck we spotted a warthog amble past.

We had afternoon tea at 3pm and soon after left for our afternoon game drive. Luckily for us, it was just Paul and I on the vehicle as the other guests had checked out. Just after we
02 Scenery02 Scenery02 Scenery

Another view of the scenic game reserve.
left the lodge we saw a large herd of wildebeest that started to run when we arrived. If only something was chasing them! We continued on, saw a pair of wildebeest, a kudu and a common duiker that darted across the road. In between the sightings Paul and Brett enjoyed identifying the many varieties of birds.

Just before sunset we stopped at a dam for sundowners and an early dinner. Here Brett made a little fire and we enjoyed a few drinks. Later on we cooked our dinner. On the way back to the lodge we saw a Black Backed Jackal and a lion.

This evening we enjoyed some drinks in the lodge as we sat by the fire.

Our sightings for the day were common duiker, eland, gemsbok, giraffe, hippo, impala, black-backed jackal, kudu, lion, slender mongoose, common reedbuck, scrub hare, steenbok, warthog, waterbuck, blue wildebeest and zebra.


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

03 Dam03 Dam
03 Dam

A dam with a view of the Drakensberg Mountains in the distance.
04 Dead Tree04 Dead Tree
04 Dead Tree

A dead tree that is used by birds to perch on.
05 Walking05 Walking
05 Walking

A herd of blue wildebeest walking away from us.
06 Running06 Running
06 Running

A pair of ostriches running away from us.
07 Zebras07 Zebras
07 Zebras

A couple of zebras also moving away from us.
08 Kudu08 Kudu
08 Kudu

A male kudu.
09 Zebras09 Zebras
09 Zebras

The zebras are now standing around instead of running away from us.
10 Burnt Bush10 Burnt Bush
10 Burnt Bush

There recently was a bush fire here.
11 Warthog11 Warthog
11 Warthog

A warthog walking through the long grass.
12 Waterbuck12 Waterbuck
12 Waterbuck

A waterbuck looking at us.
13 Dam13 Dam
13 Dam

One of the many dams in the reserve.
14 Dam14 Dam
14 Dam

This is where we stopped to have our coffee break.
15 Sleeping15 Sleeping
15 Sleeping

A couple of hippos sleeping in the warm winter sun.
16 Out of the Water16 Out of the Water
16 Out of the Water

Hippos out of the water and lying in the sun.
17 Running Past17 Running Past
17 Running Past

This warthog ran past our room.
18 Still Running18 Still Running
18 Still Running

Our excitement scared it and it ran.
19 Blue Wildebeest19 Blue Wildebeest
19 Blue Wildebeest

A herd of blue wildebeest by the dam.
20 Running20 Running
20 Running

They got scared and ran away.
21 Scenery21 Scenery
21 Scenery

The hilly scenery of Nambiti Game Reserve.


Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb