Animals at the Pan


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
August 29th 2013
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

01 Waterbuck01 Waterbuck01 Waterbuck

Lots of water buck in the wetlands.
Geo: -24.7435, 26.2573

This evening we had no guests, so I went with Paul for a drive to pick up staff from one of the gates. On the way out of the lodge, we stopped in the wetlands to briefly watch some water buck. The water buck were enjoying standing knee deep in the mud, drinking and eating water grasses. We continued on and about thirty minutes later came to Vlei Pan - out of the best waterholes to see animals at.

At that moment there were only wildebeest at the pan. We didn't want to stop just for wildebeest. A few kilometres along the road there was a rotting carcass of a giraffe that was killed a few days ago by a lion. As we quietly approached the carcass (which was just off the main road) a couple of jackals and a brown hyena quickly walked away. The carcass stank, so we drove away.
For the next hour we didn't see anything until we came to Vlei Pan again on the way back to the lodge.

This time there was a young giraffe, a small breeding herd of elephants, a rhino mother and her calf and a few various birds.
02 Wildebeest02 Wildebeest02 Wildebeest

Wildebeest near Vlei Pan - having just had a drink.
We saw here for a while and watched the rhinos, who just stood there and watched us and they frequently turned their heads to observe their surroundings. The elephants came very close to our vehicle as they walked past. We then headed back to the lodge.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

03 Rhinos03 Rhinos
03 Rhinos

A mother rhino and her cute little calf.
04 Elephant & Rhino04 Elephant & Rhino
04 Elephant & Rhino

A female elephant walking past the rhino mother and calf.
05 Elephants05 Elephants
05 Elephants

Part of a small breeding herd of elephants walking past the pan.
06 Giraffe06 Giraffe
06 Giraffe

A giraffe bending down to drink.
08 Closer08 Closer
08 Closer

A mother and her calf coming closer to our vehicle.
09 Walking09 Walking
09 Walking

The mother and her calf are about to walk past us.
10 Rhinos10 Rhinos
10 Rhinos

The mother rhino's horn is very pointy.


Tot: 0.254s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb