A 5 Star Job Interview


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
March 9th 2011
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

01 Room 01 Room 01 Room

The gorgeous mosiac bath.
Geo: -24.7768, 26.2903

Over the last week we have been sending our CVs to many lodges and browsing lodge employment websites. Finding a job was looking difficult as all lodges wanted guides with experience and Paul had none yet.

Yesterday morning we received a call from a lodge who had received our details through another lodge. It was a lodge called Jaci's in Madikwe Game Reserve. It is in a part of South Africa that we had not yet considered working. Paul had a long chat on the phone and they were interested in meeting us. We were invited to stay a night, receive the full 5 star treatment and check the place out. It sounded good to us so far. That evening we packed a bag and tried to get a good night's sleep.

This morning we got up early and tried to beat the traffic. It was a 3 and a half hour drive to get there. The reserve borders South Africa with Botswana. Once we passed through the reserve gate it was about a 10 minute drive to the lodge. Unfortunately we didn't see any animals along the way, only some birds.

We meet the general manager Deon and had
02 Room02 Room02 Room

Another view of the bath and the outdoor shower to the right.
a long meeting about the lodge and expectations. It was then lunch time. Lunch was served on the deck amongst the bush. We then checked into our room- wow! It was a lovely room, very romantic with an outdoor shower and a gorgeous bath. It was very private, as if we were in the middle of the bush with no others around. We were really impressed with everything so far and excited about the possibility of working here.

High tea was served at 4pm and from there we went on a game drive. Our guide was David and we shared the jeep with a Dutch couple. On our safari we saw zebras, warthogs, birds, lions, giraffe, a beautiful sunset and a couple of rhinos. Ten minutes into the drive we came across the airstrip and learnt that guests and staff can fly from here to Johannesburg- which would be so much better than the drive! The best thing about our drive was a very close encounter with five lions.

Once we got back we took a few minutes to prepare for dinner. Dinner tonight was being served in the boma. A boma is a traditional African village meeting area for
03 Room03 Room03 Room

Looking out of the room.
adults. It is round and surrounded by sticks. In the middle is a huge fire which is used to cook the meal on. It was a really nice meal and we felt so spoilt. It was an early night as we were going on a morning drive tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

04 Room04 Room
04 Room

Our comfy bed for the night.
05 Outdoor Shower05 Outdoor Shower
05 Outdoor Shower

The outdoor shower that has plenty of running hot water.
06 Three 06 Three
06 Three

Three zebras walking along.
07 Looking 07 Looking
07 Looking

The three zebras looking at us.
08 Sitting08 Sitting
08 Sitting

Sitting in the red soil.
09 Rolling09 Rolling
09 Rolling

The zebra having a great time rolling around in the soil.
10 Still Rolling10 Still Rolling
10 Still Rolling

The zebra still rolling around.
11 Red11 Red
11 Red

Now the zebra is red with black stripes!
12 Warthogs12 Warthogs
12 Warthogs

A group of warthogs (sounder) that are about to put their tails up and run away.
13 Airstrip13 Airstrip
13 Airstrip

The reserve's airstrip, where the guests can fly in from Johannesburg.
14 Eagle 14 Eagle
14 Eagle

A silhouette of an unidentified eagle.
15 Walking Away15 Walking Away
15 Walking Away

A lioness walking away from us.
16 Joining16 Joining
16 Joining

The lioness joining another lioness.
17 Greeting17 Greeting
17 Greeting

The lioness greeting the young male lion.
18  Lazy18  Lazy
18 Lazy

The young lazy male rests while the lioness looks to hunt.
19 Sleepy19 Sleepy
19 Sleepy

The male lion seems sleepy.
20 Yawning20 Yawning
20 Yawning

Having a yawn.
21 Up21 Up
21 Up

The male lion has stood up.


Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0307s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb