Two Male Lions


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
October 1st 2012
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

01 At the Top01 At the Top01 At the Top

At the top of this tree is a baboon that was alarm calling due to all the elephants walking around.
Geo: -24.7643, 26.282

This afternoon, once I finished a busy day of stocktake I was able to join Rach for a game drive. Paul was our guide. Only a few minutes from the lodge we encountered a breeding herd of elephants. They were quite chilled and we watched them slowly move through the bush while eating. We could hear a warning call from a baboon. Looking around we saw a baboon sitting at the top of a tree being very noisy. Maybe he was bothered by the herd of elephants around him. We watched them for about 20 minutes and then moved on.

Paul heard on the radio that there was a lion sighting nearby. We drove to the sighting. There were already two vehicles there. From our viewpoint we could see a huge male lion sleeping under a bush. Then a few metres away from him we saw his brother- another large male, also sleeping. This lion then sat up, looked at us and went back to sleep.

We then turned our attention to the first lion, who now was doing a roll and shake move- it was so cute to watch. Back to the second lion who was
04 Me04 Me04 Me

I am looking at the elephant.
now standing up, after a stretch, he walked past his brother. Then they were both up and active, slowly walking around our vehicle. The two lions seemed like they were in hunting mode and staring at us as they walked past the vehicle.

We continued to follow them for about 5 minutes - it was getting quite exciting, would they catch anything?? Unfortunately for us they walked into very thick bush and we were unable to follow them.

We were buzzing after our lion sighting. A little further down the road we spotted a wildebeest close to the road, but more importantly behind that there was a very muddy white rhino. The rhino wasn't very clear to see, as he wasn't walking towards us and there were many bushes near it.

It was definitely time for our sun downer drink stop. Paul found a safe-ish place to stop for our drinks. We got out of the vehicle and stretched our legs as we enjoyed our drinks and chatted about our drive and frequently looked around- should any animals decide to join us. Another great drive in the amazing African bush!


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

05 Me05 Me
05 Me

Behind me is an elephant.
06 Tracking06 Tracking
06 Tracking

Paul demonstrating his tracking skills.
07 Resting07 Resting
07 Resting

One of the two male lions resting.
08 Me08 Me
08 Me

I am looking at the sleeping lion.
09 Other One09 Other One
09 Other One

The other male lion resting.
10 Me 10 Me
10 Me

Behind me the lions are sleeping.
11 Sitting Up11 Sitting Up
11 Sitting Up

He then sat up and looked at us.
12 Sleeping Again12 Sleeping Again
12 Sleeping Again

After sitting up for a minute, this lion is sleeping again.
15 Up15 Up
15 Up

They are now both up, ready to move.
20  Walking Away20  Walking Away
20 Walking Away

The lion as he walked away.
21 Other One21 Other One
21 Other One

The other lion walking away.
22 Rhino & Wildebeest22 Rhino & Wildebeest
22 Rhino & Wildebeest

A wildebeest in the foreground and hiding behind the bush is a white rhino.
23 Hiding23 Hiding
23 Hiding

In among the bushes is a white rhino.
24 Us24 Us
24 Us

Paul and I on our couch.


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb