Short Drive


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
February 16th 2012
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

01 Giraffe01 Giraffe01 Giraffe

Two giraffe by the roadside.
Geo: -24.7904, 26.2917

After work this afternoon I went with Paul for a drive to Abjaterskop Gate to pick up a staff member who was returning from leave. Firstly we drove past our waterhole and (for once) there were no elephants splashing around, so we continued on. We saw some general game- giraffe, wildebeest, impalas and zebra.

On one of the main roads of the park we saw a crash of 4 white rhinos. There were all adults and crossed the road from the right hand side. Once they crossed they were just a metre or so from the cruiser they stopped and watched us watch them. Watching them reminded me of the mindless deaths of rhinos that have occurred in the park in the past year.

After ten minutes or so we continued. We came to Vlei Pan. This is a very popular waterhole with the animals because fresh water is pumped daily. At that moment there were only three male kudus on the other side. We were now half way to the gate. We stopped to watch a herd of impalas. At this time of the year there are many young impalas. Their legs are so skinny!

We arrived at
02 Blockade02 Blockade02 Blockade

Three of the four white rhinos that were temporarily blocking the road.
the gate and picked up the staff member and drove back towards the lodge. As we turned a corner I spotted something out of the side of my eye- three sleeping lions two metres from the road. Paul braked and reversed. They were not bothered at all by our presence and continued to sleep, except for one which opened her eyes and raised her head, but only for a few seconds and then went back to sleep. We continued driving back towards the lodge and didn't see much else.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

03 Slowly03 Slowly
03 Slowly

The white rhinos slowly crossing the road.
04 Still no Rush04 Still no Rush
04 Still no Rush

The rhinos are still in no rush to cross the road.
05 Facing05 Facing
05 Facing

Three of the rhinos facing us.
06 Not Budging06 Not Budging
06 Not Budging

The rhinos are still not budging, but we were more than happy to sit and watch them.
07 Side View07 Side View
07 Side View

A side view of a rhino.
08 Close08 Close
08 Close

The rhinos moved close together.
09 Spread Out09 Spread Out
09 Spread Out

They once again spread out.
10 Kudu10 Kudu
10 Kudu

Three large kudus walking away from the pan.
11 Pan 11 Pan
11 Pan

A larger view of this dry pan.
12 Impala12 Impala
12 Impala

A younger impala running away much quicker than the older one.
13 Lying13 Lying
13 Lying

Three sub adult lions lying about.
14 Open14 Open
14 Open

The lioness briefly opened her eyes for us.


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb