Seiderberg Mts - Day 43


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
November 26th 2008
Published: November 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The wind did drop but the noise of traffic on the N7 disturbed us somewhat. And we had a phone call from friends who said we simply must visit the Seiderberg Mts on our way south. So we rang cousin Graham and said we would be a day late.

The Seiderbers lie to the east of the N7 roughly half way between the Namibian border and Capetown so we branched off eastwards at Clanwilliam - a nice little town clearly geared towards the tourist industry.

The dirt road wound its way steadily up charming valleys, with occasional small citrus farms, and the views of the rock strewn, craggy mountains becoming evermore spectacular. The pass at the top was over 3,000 ft high where we entered a long valley with a wide level floor with a stream running through it.

After about 5 miles we came to the vineyard and winery we had been told about and, after our picnic lunch we enjoyed a happy hour wine-tasting their products - inevitably buying some bottles of their delicious wines.

Retracing our steps a mile or so we established ourselves in a vacant campsite, clearly slanted towards the local holiday makers. It had fantastic views of the mountains around, had a nice little river (where Milla swam - or at least sat in a pool to cool off). Clouds built up in the evening and we feared it would rain - but it didn’t. Instead we were really pestered by tiny little midges which eventually departed when it got pitch dark.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.401s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0746s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb