The bit after the beginning...


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
November 21st 2007
Published: November 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Day 5
A day in the gardens with the birds and monkeys.

Jumped on a tourist bus that took us to see some of the sights Cape town has to offer, including stops at Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens and a private Bird and Monkey sanctuary. Incredibly beautiful places but due to time constraints and Tim's necessity to take multiple pictures of anything that moved we had to rush through the last half of the trip...Definately a place to revisit though.


After many frustrating miscommunications with the sports institute we finally went to the SSISA for a meeting with 'Theo' at 5pm (who in their right mind has a meeting at 5pm on a Friday?). Very impressive establishment somewhat tainted by the fact our 'supervisor' only found out about us the day prior and consequently hadn't organised anything for us to do.

Somewhat confused yet still excited about what our placement would involve we ventured into Town to explore the famous nightlife of Long Street. After starting slowly, a great night was had by all, finishing up stumbling/crawling home at 6am.


Day 6
Surfing the Indian Ocean

After a solid 2.5 hrs sleep we rolled out
Brokeback MountainBrokeback MountainBrokeback Mountain

Catching Apes
of bed to be collected in an old rusty blue comby by surfing guru Rob and his hilarious side kick Gordon. The other members of our motley surfing crew included 2 severly sunburnt Poms and Sven the incredible hulk of a Norwegen. The trip to Musenberg was spent nursing sore heads and discussing the legitimacy of traffic lights being called 'Robots' in SA.

A few hours were spent braving the huge swell and confidently surfing the best waves that the beautiful Indian Ocean could muster up...Nah we were both terrible but thankfully slightly better than our English and Norwegen counterparts.

We were stopped by a loud siren bellowing out across the beach, without waiting to see what all the fuss was about we were all out of the water quicker than Tim is to milo. Needless to say Sirens and Flags mean shark...so this brought an end to the end our surfing experience for the day




Day 7
R & R

Some rooftop sunbaking, a run to Rhoades Memorial at the base of Table Mountain and some grocery shopping was all we did today.

Day 8
Waiting

So we were still
Monkey businessMonkey businessMonkey business

Just getting some practice for surfing tomorrow, not sure what that monkey is doing?
hovering ovr Tim's phone (which is not so unusual for Tim) waiting for a call from SSISA re: our placement. We were supposed to start today but had not recieved the phone call we were assured of over the weekend so instead spent the time and most of our money organising the rest of our time in SA.

Day 9
AJAX soccer club

Growing tired of waiting we decide to go into the SSISA to greet our 'friend' Theo and ask 'wtf' mate. This prompted several phone calls and soon we were sent on our way to AJAX soccer club. After a $200 cab ride we arived at what was to be our new home for the next few weeks.

Finally we were both excited to be involved with a world class sporting organization that could only afford 1 ice pack.

Day 10
Rain

Nothing happening today. Tim spends day waiting for me to finish this novel.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Surf's UpSurf's Up
Surf's Up

No we are not flexing


Tot: 0.179s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0384s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb