Graaff-Reinet


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
February 28th 2007
Published: March 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today we ride from Bloemfontein to Graaff-Reinet.

Today I’m riding with Peter T, Bon Bon and Dave.

This stretch is flat and boring with few secondary roads. Basically, we have to behave when riding on the Interstate where as the secondary roads are not monitored as closely (wink wink, nudge nudge).

Our plan is to around the reservoir and across Gariep Dam. Unfortunately the road we chose is gravel and the Dam is closed to traffic for construction. We leave disappointed and picked a secondary road towards Graaff-Reinet.

During this stint on the secondary roads, let’s just say I found out how fast my bike will go. ;-)

As we near Graaff-Reinet we enter into a mountain pass which is in the midst of a thunderstorm. My luck with riding and thunderstorms is checkered and I would really like to avoid riding through. The group trudges on despite the risks and at one point there appeared to be an opening in the pass but it’s an illusion and we get soaked with rain. Rivers of water is flowing down the road and the bike hydroplaning as lightening flashes overhead.

We finally make it to the town and get settled into the Drostdy Hotel. The rooms are old heritage buildings refitted into hotel suites. I have time dry out my gear and checkout the beautiful church which anchors the centre of town.

A bunch of us take the bus up to the mountains overlooking the town called the Valley of Desolation, part of the Camdeboo National Park. The storm off in the distance makes for an excellent sunset.

When I get back into my hotel room after dinner I find a half dead cockroach in the centre of the floor. I escort the bug outside and make a note to shake out my boots before I out them on tomorrow.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.218s; Tpl: 0.04s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1298s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb