Hiking in Kranshoek


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape
November 30th 2014
Published: November 30th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Well this week has been a week of extremes, we have either been healthy and energetic or completly horizontal. We began the week with very good intentions and went for an 8 mile power walk. We walked around the edge of the lagoon, nice walk and we kept up a good pace. We felt very virtuous afterwards. The weather this week has been very hot and for a couple of days we lay on our sun beds and spent the days reading and dozing. Very chillaxed! We went to the cookery school on Wednesday evening for another cook and look evening. Yet again the food was lovely and the staff and hosts very funny with their witty banter. We were even mentioned to the crowds as being the English couple who were back for a second time, leading them to think that the food in England must be rubbish! I have to say that the quality of the food and service are far superior to what we have experienced in our local restaurants at home so maybe they have a point.

We went on a hike the other day. After checking out the local walks on the internet I came across one that sounded good. It was a 10km hike with spectacular coastal views and it said that it was strenuous. I foolishly thought that this will be good, burn off a few calories and it won't be that hard. How wrong could I be! It was tough tough tough. We started the walk by hiking down a steep ravine, we saw waterfalls and walked through the forest which looked very jungle like. Crossed lots of streams and took in all the sounds of the forest, the going down was great as it was in the shade. We eventually came down a narrow path which opened onto a spectacular beach. It was a pebble beach and not a soul in sight. The waves were crashing it was just sublime. We climbed up onto some rocks had our picnic and spotted a sea otter. We spotted a whale a long way off and were very content just watching the ocean, it's quite mesmerising. We then carried on our trek which took us along the coast for quite a long time, not easy though as we had to keep going up to come back down, really thought there was no end to it. Took some pictures on the way down but none going back up, mainly because it was very hot and I looked like I was going to spontaneously combust and with hair sticking to my head it wouldn't have made an attractive photo! We eventually made it back to the car absolutely exhausted, back to base for a shower, bottle of beer and out for a pizza. I think bed came around 7.30pm that night! Totally knackered.

Today its been 31 degrees so we packed the bag and headed to the beach. We played in the surf just like we were the red suited bay watch girls and boys or more like a case of a couple of ageing flabby people doing an impression of them. Very sad I know. Baz thought he was one of the beach boys and kept singing all their songs whilst trying to look like a super cool beach bum. I think the beach is great but boy oh boy does the sand get into places that you didn't even know existed! Lizzie my buddy knows just what I mean!!! We rounded the day off with a couple of cheeky beers at an Italian restaurant on the beach and made our way back for BBQ sausages. Another week gone, can't believe how fast it is going. Sometimes you just need time to stand still so that you can take stock and appreciate things fully. Happy birthdays this week to sister Helen, sister in law Ann and the lovely Geoffers. Hope you are all enjoying your birthday bashes.

Advertisement



3rd December 2014

envy
spent my lunch catching up on blogs I never seem to have time to read at home !! envy all looks amazing, we have fab blue sky too but looking at it through LR window feeling trapped, keep up the blogs
3rd December 2014

Envy your blue sky
Hi, the sky here is very grey today with rain, hope you and Bryan are ok, will email soon with updates, lots of love.xx

Tot: 0.191s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0634s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb