Vine Hopping in Stellenbosch


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Stellenbosch
July 12th 2010
Published: August 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Wine wine wine
Wednesday (1/7/10)
We rolled out of bed for our very early airport transfer, checked in and boarded our super cheap Mango flight to Capetown. At Capetown we got another transfer straight to Stellenborsh. It was a glorious sunny day and we didn’t want to waste it. We checked in to the Traveller’s lodge, showered and signed up for the Vine Hopper Wine Shuttle Bus. Today the Vine Hopper was taking the Southern Loop, and first stop was Vredenheim Winery. A quaint winery, with a front yard filled with game, a celler like tasting room, and a gorgeous back garden. We sampled a self picked selection of five wines, took a brief stroll around the garden before it was time to board the shuttle again. Next stop was Spier Winery, a huge complex including a bird rescue area, cheetah petting, restaurant, gardens, curio’s and shops. We stopped by the bird sanctuary admiring the huge eagle its feet strong enough to crush your arm. We held some beautiful owls, and sympathized with the vulture trying to crawl his way out. We skipped the cheetahs and opted for three tastings from their vintage selection in the sun. Loosing track of time we ran to the shuttle making it just in time for the next stop on our driver’s recommendation The Long Table Restaurant for lunch (not a standard Vine Hooper Stop). Set in stunning surrounds at the foot of the Helderberg hills we enjoyed some delicious fish and lamb dishes. Our final stop was Biltong Winery, for a unique but amazing wine and chocolate paring. After a fantastic day we thanked our Vine Hopper driver (highly recommended as you can choose where you stop and for how long, not rushed like on other tours).
We stopped by supermarket the picking up some veggies and mini roast lamb for dinner.

Thursday
We woke to another beautiful sunny day for the opening day of the Stellenborsh wine festival. After breaky we walked into town checked the net and bought our Festival Day Pass, bus ticket, glass and vouchers. Three buses later we arrived at our first winery Bergkelder Winery, we sampled their list and Pinotage salami (very yummy!). We jumped back on the shuttle bus, planning to jump off at Belluvue but cold and dark we jumped straight back on the bus to Villiera. Here we tucked into a cheese platter sampled some more wines in the garden. Our final stop for the day was Simonsig, more wine and biltong in front of the open fire. Unfortunately, the shuttle was running late and we stood and waited as the sun set and the temperature dropped dramatically and the winery shut up shop. Eventually we made it back cold and tired.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.259s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 68; dbt: 0.1975s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb