Stargazer


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Prince Albert
January 5th 2013
Published: September 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -33.2182, 22.0286

The Karoo - a vast stretch of land in South Africa, dry and desert-like, almost barren, a sharp contrast to the lush and green Garden Route so popular with us tourists. I've never been to the Australian Outback, but I imagine it would look something similar to the Karoo, which was the backdrop for a long but stunning drive from Knysna, first through the ostrich farms of Oudtshoorn, and then the Meiringspoort Pass, before finally reaching Prince Albert, one of the gateways to this part of South Africa.

Vegetation all but disappeared as we climbed up to the pass, until we began our descent down into Prince Albert when magically, we were in a verdant and fertile valley, like an oasis in the middle of the desert. They say that for many South Africans, Prince Albert represents a simpler life from a bygone era, a sleepy little town in the countryside, where the activities of choice are lazing about, basking in this bucolic little paradise, and eating delicious home-style cooking featuring the bounty of the valley - tender lamb, fresh produce, award-winning olive oil, and artisan cheeses ...

Prince Albert was a sharp detour off our journey through the Garden Route, which done simply, should've been a straight shot west from Knsyna, a relatively short drive into Franschhoek and one of South Africa's famous wine-growing regions. But our little branch off the route was most definitely worthwhile, even though it involved five to six hours of travel today, and meant an epic eight to nine of hours of travel tomorrow.

Our first impressions of Prince Albert - charming, cute, and quaint, and we received a most warm welcome from Mai, our guesthouse owner, a transplant from Ireland. There is really only one street in Prince Albert, with a number of art galleries, shops, and cafes, perfect for whiling away a few hours. Perhaps the "major" sight in town is Gay's Dairy, producer of cheese that locals rave about, and a place they also recommend as a must-see attraction. A cheese sampling there is delish, and we ended up walking away with a chunk for lunch tomorrow, as well as an excellent peach and toffee yogurt, and some great fresh mango juice.

That was about the extent of our activities in Prince Albert, as it was HOT here - we were told that the temperature was in the low 30s today, but it
Like The Okanagan ...Like The Okanagan ...Like The Okanagan ...

... the view from our guesthouse in Knysna. Reminds us of sitting at B&Bs in Kelowna, perched above the lake, while enjoying a breakfast bursting with vibrant local flavours.
felt much hotter, more like the mid 30s, so the rest of the afternoon was spent in the guest house's icy pool, with a couple of glasses of locally-produced white wine, the remainder of which we later brought to dinner at a BYOB restaurant.

Collen and Cecil, the owners of our Knysna guesthouse, had visited Prince Albert recently, and recommended a contemporary restaurant situated above an art gallery, but based on Mai's suggestions, we decided upon Karoo Kombuis, basically a farmhouse converted into a restaurant, which only serves the same three entrees each and every night. You wouldn't think a place with such limited offerings would be successful, but it is often fully booked, as its attraction is the fact that they specialize in Karoo cooking, good old South African country comfort food, done very well.

Prince Albert does feel a lot like one of the small towns you'll find in the foothills of Alberta, and the meal we had tonight was the Karoo equivalent of pot roast and apple pie on a Sunday. Since arriving in Africa, we've had a number of dinners featuring more upscale fare (with the exception of our Kitchen Nightmare in Port Elizabeth), so this evening's
Sedgefield's Award-Winning Farmers Market ...Sedgefield's Award-Winning Farmers Market ...Sedgefield's Award-Winning Farmers Market ...

... too bad the food portion was mostly closed by the time we arrived.
simple cuisine, lovingly prepared, was a perfect counterpoint to those prior meals.

Stepping out from the little farmhouse after dinner, completely sated and feeling great about life, we discovered one other activity to try next time in Prince Albert - stargazing. Being such a small town in a largely uninhabited region of South Africa, there is hardly any light pollution, providing the perfect backdrop for gazing up at the heavens. In fact, there is an observatory nearby, and the Karoo is considered one of the best places in the World for this activity.

I don't think I've ever seen that many stars, that clearly, in all of my life. Perhaps we've discovered a future calling here as stargazers, who will sit in the great Karoo outdoors under the stars all night long, chowing down on tender roasted lamb and sipping on some fine South African wine ...


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Parasailor's Paradise ...Parasailor's Paradise ...
Parasailor's Paradise ...

... it was surreal leaving Sedgefield and seeing how many were up in the sky. The photo doesn't capture the number of parasailors that were out enjoying the beautiful weather today.
Chilling With Mai in the Courtyard ...Chilling With Mai in the Courtyard ...
Chilling With Mai in the Courtyard ...

... it almost felt like we were in the Mediterranean or the Balkans, sitting beneath the grape vines.
Chinese Man for Sale ...Chinese Man for Sale ...
Chinese Man for Sale ...

... realizing that the hundreds of trillions of Zimbabwean dollars given to her by Warlord Sunni were completely worthless, Benita tried to recoup her losses by offering to sell me to the owner of Gay's Dairy for his entire stock of cheese. He responded by giving her that small little block of cheese if we promised to go away and never come back ...
Dinnertime View ...Dinnertime View ...
Dinnertime View ...

... directly across from Karoo Kombuis was this sheep farm, and if you look closely, you can just see two little twin sheep. It was quite amazing watching how much energy they had, running and jumping all over the place, trying to get the other sheep to play with them, then burn out and rest for a minutes, only to get back up and do it all over again.
Oudtshoorn Ostrich Salad ...Oudtshoorn Ostrich Salad ...
Oudtshoorn Ostrich Salad ...

... the town is famous for its ostrich farms, so the prevalence of it on local menus was no surprise. Yummy little salad, and I think it was about $7 CAD, including the beer - a steal by North American standards.
Ostrich Kebab ...Ostrich Kebab ...
Ostrich Kebab ...

... more or less! Actually a pita, but delish nonetheless, with juicy chunks of ostrich. It was just missing a little garlic kebab sauce to complement the great selection of vegetables inside, highlighted by some sweet, crisp bell peppers.
Karoo Kombo ...Karoo Kombo ...
Karoo Kombo ...

... going clockwise, starting with the excellent crisp roasted potatoes: chicken pie, with a nice flaky crust atop a dense pile of chicken, no vegetables or gravy like chicken pot pies in Canada; slightly mushy but flavourful green beans; bobotie, a very popular South African dish influenced by Indonesian cuisine, of spiced ground meat topped with a custard; sweet glazed carrots; very tender lamb with a just-a-bit-too-salty gravy. Completely stuffed after this massive plate of food, it was a miracle that we still managed to find room for dessert.
Traditional Karoo Desserts ...Traditional Karoo Desserts ...
Traditional Karoo Desserts ...

... on the left, a malva pudding, resembling sticky toffee pudding in texture, but far less sweet, and a tangy lemon pudding. Fantastic finish to a fine meal.


Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0348s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb