Wednesday 18th February 2015 - Oudstshoorn


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Prince Albert
February 18th 2015
Published: March 3rd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Western Cape


Wednesday 18th February 2015. Oudstshoorn



Judith and I really wanted to go on a game drive and view some of Africa's wild animals in their natural habitat. Problem was it costs heaps of money to stay in a game lodge/camp and do the evening and morning game drives: we were lucky, because we found a viable alternative.......



The Buffelsdrift safari park, if they didn't have a full in house guest list, allowed 'outsiders' ( us ) to pay a nominal fee and join the morning safari game drive. So at 0545 (true - Judith managed to be up first as buzzing with the prospect of seeing wild animals) we were up and away to the safari park for our guided tour. It was a particularly hot day ( forecast to be 40 degrees ) but we did see reasonably close up, meerkats, springbok, buffalo, giraffe, hippo and elephants - not bad for a 2 hour tour.



The remainder of the day passed with some shopping, lying by the pool and the evening back at the Buffelsdrift safari park for a further sample of the evenings hospitality.... On this occasion we were given the favoured viewing platform over the lake and had our own running commentary, by the staff on the various animals coming down to the water hole to drink - including the large white Rhino. We even saw a snake, about 12 feet long, as we started to drive off the safari park - don't know which type of snake but it looked pretty scary. A beautiful evening though.



INTERESTING FACT: giraffes, due to their neck size can see for approximately 22 miles. Other animals know this and follow the giraffes around so they get an early warning of predators.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0551s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb