Trip to Prince Albert and Oudtshoorn


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Prince Albert
September 26th 2012
Published: September 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

On Friday the 11thofNovember 2011 we drove from Port Elizabeth to Prince Albert. The drive took us 5 hours, with some spectacular views of the passes “Meiringspoort” on the way.

We arrived Prince Albert at 4pm unloaded our bags and greeted our friends that we hadn’t seen for ages. After a couple of drinks, we went for supper at one of the top restaurants in Prince Albert “The Swartberg Arms Steak House”. That evening we went to experience the very quiet night life of the small town. One of the pubs names was the “bush pub”, the people were very friendly and welcoming.

The next morning we left early and had pancakes for breakfast at the Saturday market in Prince Albert then drove to Oudtshoorn. On our way to Oudtshoorn we stopped at Bergwater winery and were amazed of how beautiful it was and had some wine taste as well. We stopped over at De Rust and had lunch at one of the restaurants there.

Once we arrived in Oudtshoorn we made our way to the Cango Caves. This definitely proved to be the highlight of our trip. We did the adventure tour and our tour guide had a great sense of humour and kept us interested and laughing right through the tour. It was amazing to see all the different rock formations that have formed over the years and also to hear how old they were. There was a moment where the tour guide switched off all the lights in the biggest cave and only had a small lamp candle light up to show us how it looked like when the cave was first discovered. We had to climb through some very tight gaps and clime some steel rocks, was quite a work out, but a lot of fun. The guide also told us about a lady had got stuck in one of the tunnels before, was quite scary to hear about.

After the Cango Caves we went back into Oudtshoorn and went to watch the stock cars. It was very cold there but we had so much fun to see how they drive. After the stock car racing we went back to Prince Albert.

Next morning we had our last breakfast in Prince Albert and left back to Port Elizabeth.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0374s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb