Luxury living


Advertisement
Published: June 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Karin Saks has been involved rescuing, raising, rehabilitating, and releasing primates most of her life originally with baboons. When Karen moved to this area about 2 years ago, she got orphan vervets to her and that is when she set up the charity.
The farm is situated on approx. 27 hectares of native forest, at the back it borders a deep gorge with a stream at the bottom, that if you could follow would lead to the sea at Nature Valley. On all other sides of the land is farm land.
The accommodation is a squat ugly ramshackled house, with no electricity and only cold running water, cooking is done on calor gas. There are 4 bedrooms, (my room is basic but comfortable) a bathroom, a large kitchen/living room, and feed room. When I first arrived I was the only volunteer, but 3 days later 2 more girls arrived 3 days later from the UK, they are Molly 21 yrs & Leanne 19yrs, both studding zoology at Edinburgh Uni. In addition to Karen, there is also John who is from Canada and works as farm manager, so that make 5 people.
If you want a bath, you must first light a fire outside under a 45gallon drum of water, then when it is hat, carry it in buckets to the bath. With so much effort it is not done every day but when it is, it is very much appreciated and feels like pure luxury. Alternatively we jump in the car and drive to the camp site at Nature Valley for a shower and endless hot water.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0496s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb