Joberg to West Cape


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Oudtshoorn
November 11th 2008
Published: November 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

African Wild DogAfrican Wild DogAfrican Wild Dog

Extremely rare and misunderstood species.
Flew into Joberg on Saturday and met up with Geoff's brother Steven and his wife Marna who were excellent company and very hospitable. Spent the first day drinking beer, watching rugby, eating biltong and having a brai (BBQ) all of which were excellent. The next day we went for a wee drive to a Cheetah Reserve/Conservation centre with 90 cheetahs and 70 wild dogs. It was pretty cool and we also got to see our first antelope (Nyala and Impala) and pat a purring cheetah called Byron.
We are in Swellendan in West Cape tonight for our second Wedding anniversary. Was great to be together after spending our first anniversary apart last year. We flew into George yesterday and stayed in a cool place called Wilderness on the coast. We did a bit of tiki tour to Knysna east along the coast which was OK but a bit touristy. Very similar to the Great Ocean Road in places. There are two parallel ranges of mountains inland to George which are fairly steep and rugged. We headed north through the first range (Outenitua Range) to a wee town called Oudtshoorn which is famous for its Ostrich farms. we saw plenty including one Geoff thought was having a fit until we got closer and saw it was mating!!
South African drivers are almost as mad as Italians when it comes to speeding and overtaking. Evidently there is a huge roadtoll here and we are not surprised. So far we have been lucky and our biggest problem has been getting lost a few times.
Rain set in this arvo which hid the mountains a bit but made for some good photos all the same. Hope for a bit of sunshine tomorrow as we are off to Hermanus to see some whales from the cliffs and hopefully stay in Stellenbosch in the wine country. Didn't have the balls (or money) to cagedive with the sharks.
Still working on how to get photos from the camera onto this site.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb