Cape Town 2010


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Hout Bay
February 12th 2010
Published: February 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Atlantic Coast to Cape Point and back via Simonstown

Hout Bay Chapman's Peak Drive Noordhoek Imhoff's Farm Kommetjie Cape Point National Park Simonstown

Cape Town from SunstaysCape Town from SunstaysCape Town from Sunstays

This is the view when the weather is perfect
Thursday 12th February

A slow start to the day as the big drive of yesterday had taken it’s toll: leaving me rather red faced on account of too much sun and too little suntan lotion. We decided to head for the Cape Peninsula and aim for lunch at the Mariner’s Wharf in Hout Bay, which in fact is a busy fishing port.

We drove into Cape Town and out past the superb new football stadium at Green Point where the world Cup Final will be played next July (if you go to the Atlantic Coast to Cape Point map and zoom in firstly on Cape Town then centre the map on Green Point and zoom in progressively. On the map it will say Metropolitan Golf Club but if you switch to the satellite image you will see the great oval shaped stadium . Just to the right (East) of the new stadium, between Breakwater Lane and E. Pier Road is the V & A Waterfront and its wonderful collection of restaurants).

We stopped off for lunch at Hout Bay, at Mariners Wharf where we’d had lunch previously. Afterwards it was on to the
Green Point Stadium and Robben IslandGreen Point Stadium and Robben IslandGreen Point Stadium and Robben Island

The stadium is where the World Cup Final will be held in July. Wonderful location.
scenic Chapman’s Peak Drive for the drive along the southern cliffs of Hout Bay then out on to the Atlanatic coast where the road has in places been gouged out of the cliff. We stopped at a view point overlooking Noordhoek beach as the view along the beach towards Kommetjie was spectacular. Then we drove to Kommetjie and stopped off at Imhoff’s farm as recommended in the guide book for its home grown produce. However the staff there seemed terrified of the owners who were a rather surly couple……also the lemon meringue pie wasn’t very good. We then retraced our route back to Cape Town and the apartment.

Saturday 13th February
We basically repeated what we’d done the day before but this day the weather was much better, clear and very bright. Before heading out on the coast road to Hout Bay we went up Signal Hill which behind the V&A Waterfont to take in the spectacular views. Then we continued on past Hout Bay on to Chapman’s Peak Drive past Noordhoek and Kommetjie then on to Cape Point National Park with the idea of taking one of the walks recommended in the guide book. The walk was supposed to be 0.9 km and take 45 minutes but what it didn’t say was that the walk involved climbing over 1,000 feet from sea level and that it was 0.9 km each way. So the climb actually took us 55 minutes but it was worth it as the views from Kanonkop (i.e. canon hill - there’s a 19th century canon up there used for signalling the arrival of ships to Simonstown round the corner) were superb. Also, we spotted a large Cape baboon sitting on a rock outcrop surveying the area as if he owned it: which he probably did. Once we got back down to sea level we went down to Cape Point itself and then returned back to Cape Town via a quick diversion to Simonstown for some cool drinks overlooking the penguin colony.

Sunday 14th February
Another wonderful sunny and hot day, ideal for going to the beach but as it was a weekend we assumed that the local beaches would be very crowded and also we didn’t know of any that offered any shade so we headed off to Bikini Beach at Gordon’s Bay where we knew we could find some shade and sustenance close
Table MountainTable MountainTable Mountain

Great views
at hand. Because of it’s location at the head of False Bay, which is very shallow at that point, the sea was quite warm and we walked/paddled the length of the beach which was enjoyable. Then we had a light lunch in the tavern where we had eaten previously and then headed back to Cape Town to get changed to go out for a special dinner at Baia the premier restaurant in the V&A Waterfront. But prior to dinner the big event was to decide on THE RING, which was duly accomplished at Shimansky’s Jewellry (see photo) conveniently located next door to the Baia.
We had a magnificent meal overlooking the harbour with Table Mountain as the backdrop and with baby kingklip as the main course. Just as well it was baby kingclip as Daddy kingclip is probably the same size as me.

Monday 15th February
The plan was to see some of the wine estates and maybe sample some of their products. As it was not as clear as the previous two days we decided to do the wine estates nearest Cape Town rather than head out into the main wine producing areas inland. The local wineries are in a suburb of Cape Town called Constantia which is the premier address in the City (it was also the former address of one Mark Thatcher until he was guilty of being involved in a coup attempt in Equatorial Guinea and booted out of the country). We started off in a beautiful estate called Klein Constantia as Jane had heard that they produce a magnificent dessert wine, They do, and we have a bottle. It’s called Vin de Constance, named after the daughter of a Governor of Cape Town called Simon van der Stel after whose family lots of places round here have been named - Stellenbosch, Simonstown and Constantia to name but three. Then we went to Buitenverwachting estate virtually next door which had particularly lovely gardens. We had lunch there and were quite lucky to do so as it’s supposed to be one of the 10 best restaurants in the Cape and reservations are considered necessary. The lunch was excellent and not as expensive as one would have thought given the reputation of the place.
Lastly, we went to Groot Constantia, the grand daddy of all wine estates as it was Van der Stel’s home and has been beautifully preserved as a museum as well as a working wine estate. Then it was over the mountain to the Atlantic Coast and Hout Bay then back to Cape Town via Signal Hill.
Dinner back at the apartment, a bit of packing and then to bed.

Tuesday 16th.
As we're flying out tonight there won't be a blog for today. I hope that you enjoyed it all.





Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Kanonkop Cape PointKanonkop Cape Point
Kanonkop Cape Point

Jenks with Kanon


Tot: 0.446s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 14; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0703s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb