Great Whites!


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Hermanus
April 15th 2003
Published: April 15th 2003
Edit Blog Post

Shark CageShark CageShark Cage

Going down to see them close up.
Next stop was Hermanus and we took the Baz Bus which is a backpackers bus which stops at backpackers all around South Africa. We only took this bus a few times when local transport - which is much cheaper - seemed to be particularly difficult. Hermanus was a quaint seaside town with a nice place to stay. The weather was mild since summer was pretty much over but warm when the sun was out. We spent a few days in Hermanus relaxing after Capetown and also took a cage dive with the Great White Sharks. That was a great day out - we drove out to Gansbaii and then took a boat out about an hour from land. The captain then took a huge tuna head and attached it to a rope and threw it in the water. Before long he had Great Whites breaching the surface of the water to try and get the tunahead in their mouthes. A few times they succeeded and he had to wrestle with mixed success the tunahead back from them. Everyone on the boat took turns to get in the cage outside the boat and view the sharks close up. Kristen and I got under water with regulators and sat on the bottom of the cage watching the huge sharks swim around. One took a bite at a metal bar on the end of the boat which was only about 3m from our faces. The sharks we saw were generally about 4.5m long and some were quite wide as well!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Great WhiteGreat White
Great White

Oops - got the bait!


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0407s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb