Lots of whales


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Hermanus
October 22nd 2008
Published: October 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Robben IslandRobben IslandRobben Island

The welcome sign
Robben Island was a really fascinating trip - the island has a small village now in which some of the ex political prisoners and ex prison guards now live with their families, working on the island and doing the tours. Before the days of apartheid it was also used as a leper colony (the hospital is now a primary school), and there was also a prison for convicts (murderers, rapists etc) who were considered less dangerous than the political prisoners.
I also paid a visit to the District Six Museum - a very well put together place with tons to take in about the last century in South Africa, with specific reference to District Six of Cape Town where people's homes were pretty much flattened to make room for the whites because of its great location.
Bringing it home more has been meeting people of all backgrounds and hearing a bit about their life or their family's life in the not too distant past, and how, whilst things have changed (and remarkably peacefully), it will take a long time for wounds to heal.
So, after a final night at the Big Blue Backpackers, it was an early start on the Baz
Robben IslandRobben IslandRobben Island

Food rations depending on the colour of prisoner.
Bus to Hermanus - a complete contrast to where I've just been, this is a quiet coastal resort geared towards whale-watching and shark-diving (don't worry mother, there is no way on god's earth you would catch me getting in a cage for sharks to then repeatedly ram themselves against it).
The hostel here is so laid back its horizontal - friendly place, had a very tasty braai last night. I think its run by Bill and Ted's long lost cousins - one of them is even called Thaseus, dude.
I think this is a good place for the soul - there are countless places to sit and watch the ocean - with whales making a very regular appearance. They have been breaching which is fantastic to see (no pictures of this, I was too busy enjoying watching them!)


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Cape TownCape Town
Cape Town

Coming back from Robben Island - the tablecloth is descending!
A dassieA dassie
A dassie

This cute little fur-ball is a distant relative of the elephant.
HermanusHermanus
Hermanus

From the coastal path on a blustery grey day.


Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0523s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb