The whales arrive


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Hermanus
May 26th 2007
Published: May 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Yes it is true. First, today we drove to a small village out of Cape Town it took us about 2 1/2 hours. We were really beginning to like Cape town, but there are so many other areas and territory we are covering in South Africa. Our drive was once again, no memorable, we took tons of pics, and little movies. When we got to our small guest house, on cliff st. you can only imagine how set into cliffs, and so beautiful our surroundings are! This place is called whale song lodge, and the reason is because every year the whales ( all different species) make the journey away from Antarctica’s cold water to these warmer waters to mate, from May till Sept. The people here are so used to this that I swear, they said they recognize certain whales that come back every year! The water here is so vast, and it was such a clear day, from so high up at our little cafe called coffee on the rocks, we sat and had our first beer / wine here. As we sat and relaxed, we said to each other, now we just need to see a whale...a local woman stood up and pointed to a whale breeching in the distance, that’s when they jump up (we saw w/ binoculars, but its really obvious when you see them blow water straight up) So it drew a crowd, and the people here said that the whales have once again arrived. We are only here one night to go shark diving, so i don’t know if we will see more whales, maybe tomorrow up close, but the locals here are just really into the whales, and said they come so close, just up to the cliffs here, they play in the kelp, and their 2 ton bodies look like submarines just going back and forth. It was pretty wild to see this today, and then we hiked along the bluff here. The weather has been stunning here, everyone has been talking about a cold front they have been experiencing, but so far, we are not a part of that what so ever. The days are gorgeous, today, really warm. We sat outside on our balcony w/ a couple from Switzerland, and Germany, just drinking wine. I would not recommend pizza in Africa, we are in a huge shark diving/whale watching village, and we skipped a huge dinner since we are headed for the winery tomorrow night w/ awesome restaurants, so we got pizza, at 'Sharkeys' - it was unlike any pizza we have had. Other then that this day was amazing. Every day is an adventure here. Tomorrow morning we have an early wake up call for the cage diving ( we are so wrapped up in our vacation mode, didn’t realize when we were going)

Advertisement



27th May 2007

Pizza
If you want pizza, try Debonairs. Also don't expect food in small towns to be good.
27th May 2007

tummy a'turnin'...
My stomach was turnin' when I read this blog! I got so excited... like I was actually going to see a whale blow water out of the water! The view sounds breathtaking! I wish I could see through your eyes for one minute! The suspense continues.... shark diving?? Yikes!! xoxox
15th June 2007

We love Hermanus
My Dad lives in hermanus and we've been there 3 times. We see whales every single day we are there, it's pretty amazing. Don't forget the dassies and the baboons, the baboons can usually be found in the Fernkloof nature reserve, or raiding bins in the town ! We are travelling again to SA , this time with friends stopping in Hermanus, Knysna, Kariega Game Park, Knysna Elephant Park, Cape Town and Boulders Beach. You can catch our travel blog at http://diary.zone100.co.uk there is also a web site for our holiday this year (2007) with some useful links if you going that way. If you are enjoy yourselves.

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0407s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb