Diving with Great White Sharks


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Gansbaai
May 21st 2010
Published: May 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Shark Video 1 10 secs
2: shark Video 2 15 secs
Just outside of Cape Town you can go diving with the Great White Sharks. They lower a cage next to the boat and you drop yourself into the cage and the sharks swim right up to you and stare you in the face.

They attract the sharks to the cage with fish blood and guts called Chum. They even put a large fish head on a rope and try to get the shark to lunge at the cage as they pull the fish towards your face.

The cage is one foot square iron grids so the shark's nose even goes inside the cage a bit if the guy handling the fish head is good. If you put your hands or feet outside the cage even a few inches, the sharks can have a bit of you for lunch.

It is a very nice experience if you like to feel alive. It will quickly get you concentrating on the moment. I asked the dive master what would happen if you fell in the water outside the cage. He said you would be dead, that simple. Enjoy the pictures!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



23rd May 2010

awesome
cool adventure. looks beautiful there. that's really a once-in-a-lifetime, uuhhh, once-every-seven-weeks experience.
27th May 2010

I'll stay in the cage.
That's a far cry from the little reef sharks that I swam with (at a good distance) when diving in Hawaii.

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0493s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb