Cape Point


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape of Good Hope
November 30th 2014
Published: December 5th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Finally a date was set to go to Cape Point, a place I've been wanting to visit for a long time.

Id been warned to leave early to avoid the crowds of 'tourists'!! We left Stellenbosch at 07:15 and were at the gates to the Cape Point National Park by 9:00 after a quick stop to take the iconic photo of the multi coloured beach huts along the way.

We saw bok and zebra and ostrich on our way to the point. Once we arrived at the point we put our trainers/tekkies/sneakers on to make the walk up to the first light house and onto the point.

The day was perfect as there was no wind, no white horses on the sea and a clear clear day. We took a steady pace up the path, there is a funicular railway if you want, but we chose to walk and take in the view.

The lizards are so used to the tourists that they don't move! you have to step over them or go around them! stopping for several photos along the way before we reached the old lighthouse and obligatory signpost showing you in which direction different countries are.

The midges were awful up there, no wind meant there were plenty waiting for lovely english blood to feed off!! IM A CELEBRITY GET ME OUT OF HERE!!!

We continued our walk along the peninsula to the last view point from there the view was amazing, the lighthouse right on the end of the country!! It was a very hot day and with little or no breeze we started our return towards the car.

From Cape Point we headed to the Cape of Good Hope, just around the corner! Armed with a beer, some chips and some biltong we climbed a little way up before finding a seat on the cliff edge from where we watched the sea rolling in and the buses of tourists. Up until that point we hadn't seen any. Now they were coming in thick and fast. All wanting their picture taken at the sign! I waited patiently on the rocks till the last bus left and hot footed it down!!!

From the reserve we headed out along the coastel road via Chapmans Peak to Hout bay, where we had a lovely fish lunch!!!



It was a lovely day out but I'm glad we went early as there weren't too many tourists!!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0496s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb