Day 19: Head South and Stop at the Bottom


Advertisement
Published: April 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 19: Head South and Stop at the Bottom


Breakfast at 08h00; luxury! Walk downstairs, through the kitchen and into the garden; luxury! Almost as good as having breakfast in the bush!

Although we're in Cape Town, there will be a bit of travelling today as we're going around the peninsula. As always, we set of on time and started the journey by driving passed a number of retirement homes. Bantry Bay, Clifton and Camps Bay were ticked off - all very nice properties perched on the cliffs on very nice beaches. Continuing, we went on though Llandudno and on to Hout Bay, which got its name from the wooded, sheltered valley where ships could be repaired. Now Hout Bay is a major fishing area.

Stopping to pay a toll, we began probably the most spectacular part of the peninsula tour - Chapman's Peak Drive. The road is dug into the mountain side and runs for about 10km, dropping 300' into the sea on one side. The views are beyond imagination in the clear, morning air, the blue sky merging with the deep blue sea whilst pure white waves crash into the rocks.

Driving for some minutes more, we scurried through nondescript towns before stopping at another booth where we entered the Table Mountain National Park and made our way down to Cape Point. There is a lighthouse here, but because of the persistent fog, it's pretty much useless!

We left the bus in the main car park and climbed up to the lighthouse. Typically of the area, mists surrounded us and the sea was invisible, although audible. However, this just gave wonderful photographic opportunities.

By now, our guide had taken the bus down to the bottom and so, with little other option, we started walking down to the Cape of Good Hope. This was a beautiful walk as we were sometimes walking through mist and at other times in clear sunshine. Few people were taking the route, which made it even more spectacular.

Back at the bus, we returned by the False Bay seaboard, which contains areas of more historic interest; Cecil Rhodes' house being just one example. The sea is also several degrees warmer on this side.

We made one last stop on the peninsular, at the Boulder Penguin Colony, one of the few places that the African Penguins have called home. Although rather smelly, they are endearing little birds, waddling up and down the beach like undertakers in their dark suits!

And now, I'm sitting in the garden in the late afternoon sun, thinking about the past few weeks and the journey across South Africa, from Jo'burg, into the parks, Swaziland and Lesotho, the Drakensberg, the Karoo and the modern world which is Cape Town. I've seen wonderful things, met amazing people, experienced nature and been ill. Here in Cape Town, I've a few days to take in these sights before setting off on another adventure - into Namibia and back into the tent!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

African PenguinAfrican Penguin
African Penguin

Previously known as the Jackass Penguin


Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb