South African Wildlife


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
August 30th 2012
Published: August 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post


The wildlife in South Africa is, to put it simply, bloody unbelievable. Not only do you have the world's largest land mammal (African Elephant), bird (ostrich) and two APEX predators (lion and great white) but there is wildlife eeking out of each little nook and cranny. South Africa is also home to it's own floral kingdom in the Cape of good hope, which is the only country to be able to say that. There are so many different types of 5s too - The Big 5 (lion, buffalo, leopard, rhino and elephant), The Shy 5 (the meerkat, the aardvark, the porcupine, the aardwolf and the bat-eared fox.) The elusive 5 – so elusive no-one knows who they are. I lost count of the different species we'd seen about four days into the trip.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Penguins at Boulders BeachPenguins at Boulders Beach
Penguins at Boulders Beach

William Morris said one can never be angry when one looks at a penguin. He was right.
Masked weaver in OudtshoornMasked weaver in Oudtshoorn
Masked weaver in Oudtshoorn

These beautiful little birds weave their nests high in the reeds to protect their young from snakes.
Kingfisher in OudtshoornKingfisher in Oudtshoorn
Kingfisher in Oudtshoorn

This shiny critter sat on the fence around the lake where we were staying, and took his time before pouncing on the small fish below.
Ostrich farm, OudtshoornOstrich farm, Oudtshoorn
Ostrich farm, Oudtshoorn

There are thousands of ostriches in South Africa's ostrich capital Oudtshoorn. This one didn't want to mate with my husband. Thankfully.
Ostrich in Cape of Good HopeOstrich in Cape of Good Hope
Ostrich in Cape of Good Hope

Our first Ostrich of the trip this huge beast seemed to pop out of nowhere!
Male ostrich mating display, OudtshoornMale ostrich mating display, Oudtshoorn
Male ostrich mating display, Oudtshoorn

On seeing my husband, this ostrich promptly began a mating display, rolling its head from side to side and shaking it's feathers.
Weaver's nest, MadikweWeaver's nest, Madikwe
Weaver's nest, Madikwe

These nests are also made in the tree tops to avoid snakes, and hang from the bush like little garden party lanterns. Beautiful.
Dassie Rat, Boulders BeachDassie Rat, Boulders Beach
Dassie Rat, Boulders Beach

You hear rat and don't quite picture these cute critters, who are also referred to rock rats. They are rodents, and bizarrely share DNA with the elephant...


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0524s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb