WE'VE BEEN TANGOED


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
July 7th 2010
Published: July 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

A Little trip into Fish Hoek before we catch the train into Cape Town. Fish Hoek is another lovely little fishing village, its bay is visited, by sharks!!! There is a shark watch in this bay and bathers have to adhere to the warning flags. As it is winter here there were no bathers but surfers make use of the rolling waves along this coast line.
We caught the train for the hour journey to Cape Town; the cost of this trip was £1.80 return each. Cheap as chips. Mind you the train was a bit rough. I could have described the scenery, if I could have seen out of the dirty windows.
In Cape Town everyhere was orange. I am sure there must have been supporters of Uruguay around, but at this time we didn’t see many. We passed the Ferryman, the bar that the English supporters had “taken” over. It was empty. One of the waiters told us he wished the English were back in town and that the Ferryman was the official Cape Town Chelsea Supporters Club. We felt choked when we saw the Dutch supporters. It should have been us. All credit to them, they were all dressed up, as the English supporters usually are. We tried to buy a couple of tickets, but the prices were ridiculous. $600.00 a ticket. We thought that this was too much for a match, between two teams, we didn’t particularly support. We considered hanging around, by the ground, in hope of buying a last minute cheapy, but as we had been advised that they close the Fan Fest early, when it gets too busy, we decided against it. The Fan Fest is quite a distance from Green Point and we didn’t want to be out on a limb without being part of the atmosphere.
We went to Cape Town’s best kept secret for lunch. Patrons asked us not to tell too many people because they didn’t want prices to go up and standards to fall. So a secret it will remain. Ha ha.
The Fan Fest was buzzing. We got there very early to soak up the atmosphere and enjoy the entertainment. There was a diverse array of acts from opera to rap. How often will we be able to enjoy opera, from male tenors, sung with Table Mountain as the back drop?
We really wanted Holland to win, as we felt Uruguay were there by default. Most of the African nation was rooting for Holland as well. It was wonderful when they scored everywhere erupted. A great result, just need Spain to beat the Germans tomorrow.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0912s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb