V&A waterfront Cape Town


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
April 20th 2010
Published: April 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Not wanting to hurt the church lady's feelings, I waited until she'd gone back inside the church before steering a course in the opposite direction to that she'd recommended. I also managed to steer us completely wrong. The view to the water on our right disappeared and we seemed to be walking down the middle of a dual carriageway. The other one wisely suggested that we might turn back and our route via a car park garage, busy roundabout and three massive ships dry docked eventually proved successful.

The waterfront is apparently the most visited attraction in Cape Town, I think mainly because it's the most obvious with shops, restaurants and also the gateway to Robben Island. However, the shops aren't that great - no real brands or choice - and the place is swarming with tourists so everything is overpriced and has all the atmosphere of an outdoors airport lounge. There are lovely views to Table Mountain but otherwise this could be any town that's remarketed its waterside areas like Southampton or Cardiff. It being time for lunch we traipsed around more than a few establishments before I was happy as I'm a bugger for choosing restaurants,. We settled for some Mediterranean type place, the Greek Fisherman I think, which had tapas (hey we're all European isn't it, who's going to know tapas is Spanish?!) though I was disappointed to see there were no bargain bailout specials on the menu.

After a long day walking we headed back to town, got a bottle of wine (not that easy to find places selling!) and had a night in, knackered.

paradisepromised.wordpress.com

Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0557s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb