Cape Town


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
April 17th 2010
Published: April 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Boulder BeachBoulder BeachBoulder Beach

Local residents
Take the European and African cultures, mesh them together in a laid back atmosphere slapped between two mountains right off the coast of where the Atlantic meets the Indian Ocean with perfect weather, and you have Cape Town. It is extremely diverse with its people and history and cultures. You have everything from extreme poverty to the very wealthy. The people are very friendly and genuinely happy. There are loads of restaurants with everything you can think of, coffee shops, night clubs, pubs, anything you could ever need. People from all over the world come here to visit, and many end up staying. I can see why.

I arrived a few days ago and went straight to Long Street Backpackers. Its clean, safe, and has been a lot of fun. Long Street is in the heart of Cape Town and the perfect spot to be as everything is within walking distance. We have met a lot of cool people this week and have had a blast experiencing the Cape Town nightlife.

My first full day here we took a train for 14 Rand (2 US) down to Simon's Town. The plan was to take a boat to Seal Island to hopefully see some great white sharks do their thing, but we missed the boat. There was an option to go cage diving with great whites, but after careful contemplation I instead decided to walk 2 Km down the road to Boulder Beach. There I jumped in the water and occasionally had a few Penguins swim by me. They tell me this particular kind of Penguin is only found in South Africa.

The next day we went to the Waterfront which is basically a Marina with a lot of shops and beer gardens. There were also bands playing tribal music. The new stadium is near there which is almost completed to be ready for the FIFA World Cup. Most of the city is getting a facelift before the world cup starts on June 11th. There seems to be a lot of last minute project cramming going on through out the city.

Yesterday World Cup tickets went on Sale (Thursday for South African residents). We got a front row ticket (don't know how that happened) to the Slovenia/USA game (England/USA was already sold out) and also New Zealand/Slovakia (it was dirt cheap). After that we proceeded to do a
Boulder BeachBoulder BeachBoulder Beach

An amazing spot to hang out and swim.
2 hour hike up Table Mountain. The views from up there were amazing. After the tough hike, I rewarded myself with a Cohiba (Cuban Cigar) while watching the sun go down over the Atlantic Ocean on top of the mountain before taking a cable car back down.

Today we plan on going to the beach for most of the day. Tomorrow we are going to rent a car for 10 days and head up to the country of Namibia to check out a couple of national parks and hopefully get our first Lion sighting. I didn't realize before I came over here that you can actually do your own safari's out of your own car, so we will see how it goes.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Hostle BarHostle Bar
Hostle Bar

Jeff and I with our new friend from Zambia.
Table MountainTable Mountain
Table Mountain

This is overlooking Cape Town. The mountain in the background is called Lion's head.
Table MountainTable Mountain
Table Mountain

The view from the top
Table Mountain Table Mountain
Table Mountain

Overlooking the Atlantic.
AccomidationAccomidation
Accomidation

The crash pad.
Long Street BackpackersLong Street Backpackers
Long Street Backpackers

The courtyard in the middle of the hostle.


17th April 2010

awesome dude!
This is awesome!
17th April 2010

Looks awesome where your at, have fun!
17th April 2010

Living the Dream...
Awesome pictures! Keep having a great time, guys!
17th April 2010

Enjoyed your first pictures and recap of events. Looks beautiful. Stay safe. Love you.
17th April 2010

fun fun!!
17th April 2010

wow
You really are a great writer. This will be a wonderful log to have later. Now I am getting wanderlust, but I don't think I can get Dave to Africa again, although the 3 of us had an incredible time. And so easy to get tickets==amazing. You lead a charmed life (I hope)!
18th April 2010

You totally suck
18th April 2010

Hey
Looks like you're having a great time so far...what a beautiful view of Boulder Beach :) Can't wait to see more!
19th April 2010

Hey
Looks like Justin found Jesus! I didn't know Jesus drank beer though....ha!

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb