Days 27-30: Cape Town, South Africa


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
February 22nd 2007
Published: February 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Arriving in Cape Town, we saw the sea again after 11 days of travelling in various countries, all inland. Cape Town is really beautiful, the V & A Waterfront is cool with all its restaurants and picturesque old buildings, and Table Mountain looming above the town is spectacular.

Our hotel, Hippo Boutique Hotel, is just off Kloof/Long Street, both packed with restaurants and eateries, the Kloof Street end being a little more upmarket with the Long Street end packed with restaurants but also pubs and backpackers. Cool area. Takes about 20-30 mins to walk to V & A.

We managed to catch "Black Diamond" yesterday since we missed it at the movies at home and movies here are cheap! Awesome movie, highly recommended, but before a trip right through Africa..... mmmm lol ;-)

Today we went up to Table Mountain by cable car and the view from the top was amazing, 1067m high it was really breath-taking and we got heaps of cool snaps - missed Sheepy though!

We originally wanted to hire a car to get around and see lots of areas but they are completely sold out, not a hire car in the city - so if you're ever coming here... learn from us and book well in advance!

We just got back from our tour pre-departure meeting, there's only 5 passengers on the first 3 weeks of our trip! We were secretly quite happy considering the truck seats 26 so there'll be plenty of room! Another kiwi couple and an irish girl who also has her luggage missing! Sounds like the first 3 weeks in S.A, Namibia and Botswana are pretty cruisy before getting into Zimbabwe and East Africa. We went to and from the meeting in Sea Point by the local "taxi" which are just minivans used mainly by black South Africans. It was so cheap though - 8 Rand compared to 100 Rand by taxi so we couldn't resist ;-) The one coming back was full of these young black guys all with backwards baseball caps and the rest and the van was fully macked out with lights and a huge sound system, it was great fun ;-)


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



25th February 2007

Sheepy
Why do you leave me at home? I want to come everywhere with you and look at all the baaeutiful places..........
25th February 2007

Wonderful
I love this blog. The photos are amazing and just so nice to think of you at these place. By now you are off camping, and will be looking forward to hearing all about that.....what an adventure!!!! Love Mum

Tot: 0.323s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 17; qc: 86; dbt: 0.1184s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb