Kidnapped in Cape Town and other capers….


Advertisement
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
September 29th 2018
Published: October 1st 2018
Edit Blog Post

As a bit of background, this is part of a very special trip as we are celebrating MJ’s milestone birthday (albeit a couple of years late). As a result, we’ve gone and made it even more special than some of our others. We enjoy using a travel agent to assist us when traveling as they have a wealth of knowledge we’ve never been able to glean from other sources. Angeline, who was our travel age... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 54, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Up closeUp close
Up close

Beautiful African penguins
Penguins a plentyPenguins a plenty
Penguins a plenty

Boulder Beach
Ok.. just one moreOk.. just one more
Ok.. just one more

Love those penguins
Mom and babyMom and baby
Mom and baby

Spring is in the air
African entertainmentAfrican entertainment
African entertainment

Gold restaurant, Cape Town
Beautiful mosqueBeautiful mosque
Beautiful mosque

Lovely architecture
Neighborhood churchesNeighborhood churches
Neighborhood churches

Beautiful architecture



1st October 2018
Up close

Up close
Glad your trip has started off so spectacularly! The penguins are funny and charming and I too was surprised to see ostriches . Wait til you come upon hundreds of flamingos! Enjoy!
1st October 2018
Up close

Hello Marsha,
Great hearing from you! Yes our trip is starting off on a positive note. There is so much to learn and understand about this part of the world. Plus it is beautiful. Thanks for sending a message.
1st October 2018

Penguins!
Lovely writing and compelling pictures. I'm looking forward to more.
1st October 2018

Penguins!
Thank you Sheila. We are having a wonderful time exploring and I could not get enough of the adorable penguins. Thanks for following our travels.
1st October 2018
Enjoying face painting

Love this
Darn, you look so good, so happy, so Merry Jo!!! I love this picture
1st October 2018
Enjoying face painting

Thanks Brendan
I’m sure the wine had something to do with it. Thanks for commenting.
1st October 2018

What a great start
Well, not so much heading off with the wrong driver, but the rest of it has been awesome. I am sorry the tram was such a long line and that the prison island was not doable. Can't wait to see where you are off to next.
1st October 2018

What a great start
Even with all our mishaps and derailed plans we are having a great time and Faizel ensured that we saw many other things and continued to tell us the history of his country. So much to learn in South Africa.
1st October 2018

Cape Town
Weather will always call for a change of plans, but experienced travellers like you two will always get the best from it. Sounds like you’re having a great time. Keep smiling! David and Janice
2nd October 2018

Cape Town
David and Janice, you are correct that we can easily go with the flow. There are many things to keep one entertained in this part of the world. Thanks for following along.
1st October 2018

The Waltons
I remember the TV show and I have no doubt you tried to pass off as the Waltons. Not surprised you risked a pseudonym as you are living the dream where others fear to tread...but the Waltons!!!!! Really!!!!
2nd October 2018

The Waltons
We discovered later that the Waltons never actually showed up for their tour, so John Boy must have backed out. No pseudonyms here, just a simple, but funny mix up. Turns out our second guide was a great one! Cheers!
2nd October 2018

Mistaken identity
Quite hilarious how you two were kidnapped by your tour guide! Sure you wasted a bit of time, but you got a free ride along the coast line! South Africa is in my radar screen and to travel other countries from there. So, Nadi's contact would be very helpful MJ...will contact you. My two favourite photos 'Hello from Cape Point' and 'Dave the drummer' ( I tweaked the name a bit) for sure... I think the theme of the movie of District 9 was inspired by the events of District six...Thanks for taking us to this beautiful city through your post.
2nd October 2018

Mistaken identity
It really was funny... we told the gentleman at the desk our name, room number and where we would be sitting. The guide arrive and gave him the correct name and room number but evidentially the gentleman didn't listen carefully and assumed only one couple had someone coming to pick them up. Faizel got everything sorted out for us and we had a marvelous visit. Thanks for commenting.
2nd October 2018

Jumping in
Appeared that you recovered nicely from the jet part of the trip. I always like when you give us local histories, and the photos. Outside of the abduction, you seemed to cover a lot of sites. Loved the penguins, must have been great to just immerse yourselves with their way of just being.. And Dave, you were excellent on the drum, you got the rhythm!
2nd October 2018

Jumping In
We're recovered from the brutal jet lag and bouncing forward. Thanks for the nice comments....we aim to provide some good information along the way. I enjoyed banging on the drum.....big fun!
2nd October 2018

Off to a good start...
Happy birthday and glad to see you're grand tour is off to a good start. Your recommendations show that this really is a special occasion! Only the best. Looking forward to all the upcoming adventures!
2nd October 2018

Off to a good start
I can’t remember if you’ve been to Cape Town but you should consider it if not. We are having a grand time.
2nd October 2018

Only in Africa (or South Africa, to be more specific)
Glad you made it to my country and the city of my youth - it is a beautiful place, but the weather can be temperamental - yet on a good day it is fantastic! So pleased to hear you weren't really kidnapped - it would be a sad state of affairs, but not unlikely, unfortunately. Luckily you are seasoned travelers. Your next visit should be in Johannesburg - then we could meet up!
2nd October 2018

Only in South Africa
Good hearing from you. We will be in Jo berg on this trip. Are you in town? Having a great time and ready to head out on Safari
2nd October 2018

Beautiful place and beautiful people
We enjoyed reading your blog. It brought back so many amazing memories of our fantastic time in this region. It is one of the most beautiful areas in the world. And nowhere have we seen so many different and beautiful people than in Cape Town. Have a wonderful trip through Southern Africa - a fascinating region.
2nd October 2018

Beautiful place and beautiful people
So glad our blog brought back pleasant memories for you. We enjoy reading blogs about places we've been as a reminder of those good times. Diversity is rampant in Cape Town and is so lovely.
2nd October 2018

Only in SA
I am in town. Let me know when and where you're in Joburg and maybe we can meet up. You're welcome to send me an email or message and I'll give you my contact details. Enjoy your safari!
2nd October 2018

Only in SA
I will send you a private message in the next day or so. Let's see if it works out to meet.
2nd October 2018
Hello from Cape Point

I've been to the westernmost point
Last year we went to Senegal and there we visited the westernmost point on the African mainland. They made no advertising at all about it and they even started to shoo us away when we wanted to go down and take pictures. /Ake
2nd October 2018
Hello from Cape Point

Westernmost point
You've had a real achievement. Few people have visited the location you are speaking of. I know that was a real experience.
3rd October 2018

What a Wonderful Experience!
We are amazed at the history, scenery, and wonderful experience you are having! Love your pictures of the penguins. Mary Jo - you are indeed having a birthday you will remember.
3rd October 2018

Wonderful experience
The two of you would love this trip. So rich in history..
4th October 2018
Fast swimmers

Little cuties!
I read an article about how the practice of eating penguin eggs was a massive threat to these guys, but I think they've managed to reverse the damage done. And I would have squealed with delight too :) Sorry the fog and wind hampered some of your plans, but it looks like you got some nice sunny days too. Looking forward to more food and wild life photos!
4th October 2018
Fast swimmers

Little cuties
The are endlessly adorable. I could have watched them for days. Yes we learned about the egg issue but they believe it has been resolved. We enjoyed the museums and other things we did due to the weather so no problem. Travelers must be flexible. MJ
4th October 2018

Djembe.
I love the djembe drum. I can hear it beating. Cape Town, and indeed all of the African nations I visited have a place in my heart. Not long after Theresa and I met I was stationed in Cape Town, my stomping ground of Green Point, I am always delighted to read about this area. Squealing in delight at penguins - awesome! Dave
4th October 2018

Djembe
I’m happy if our blog provided you any memories. Your time in Africa seems to have been a good time in life.... plus you and Theresa met so that is very good. The people are incredibly nice and who doesn’t love a penguin.
6th October 2018

Loved this Blog Entry
Hi Dave and Merry Jo - I loved this blog entry. It makes we want to go to South Africa just to see the penguins!
7th October 2018

This blog entry
Yes please come to Africa and see the penguins. So much fun.
7th October 2018

Cape Town
What a wonderful and inspiring read, great to hear your travels have seemingly got off to an amazing start. Cape Town looks wonderful, and I look forward to reading more on your adventures ?
7th October 2018

Cape Town
A lovely city on the water, rich in history. We are learning so much. As expected the people are so nice. Having a great time. Thanks for commenting.
8th October 2018

Adventures already!
Loving that you guys are having an adventure straight off the bat, when the best laid plans don't go quite right you know you're a traveller by how you deal with them
8th October 2018

Adventures
We go with the flow.No reason to be bothered by it.We are having a great adventure.
1st December 2018
Ok.. just one more

Penguin party
It must’ve been great to see them frolicking about in day time too!
1st December 2018
Ok.. just one more

Penguin party
We really were fortunate to go to some amazing places and see some amazing things.
27th December 2018

Late but here now :)
Hello M & J! I’m totally late to reading your African adventures, so I’m getting caught up now and I’m loving your experience, especially since its bringing back so many fond memories of our own time in Capetown. the kidnapping part must have been quite confusing, but I’m glad you bounced back from it! I agree that the coast is truly the gem of Capetown’s beauty. -Jen
28th December 2018

Late but here now
Thanks! Glad we could provide you some good memories. We had a great time. It is an amazing coast.

Tot: 0.46s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 62; qc: 179; dbt: 0.2114s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.8mb