South Africa to Zimbabwe Day 2


Advertisement
Published: September 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Out and about

Tuesday, August 17. We start with a tour of the city with several walks in the town, a cable car ride, 3000 ft to the top of Table Mountain, and then a hike around the top of the plateau. Spectacular vistas. Cape Town with its huge new, oversized soccer stadium spread out below us. We spot about seven chubby, furry Rock Hydrax, called Dassies in S Africa, about the size of a large cat, gleefully munching away at what looks like moss growing between and on the rocks. At one point I glance a couple feet in front of me and discover we have come right up to a sheer drop off. No warning. No fence. We are a bit more careful where we are walking after that. The cable car itself is an adventure. The floor rotates 360 degrees while climbing so everyone onboard gets a constantly changing view.

A ride into history

In the afternoon Ahren and I opt to take a boat trip to Robben Island where Nelson Mandala was held in prison. Once off loaded we board a bus for a tour of the island then meet a former prisoner who escorts us around the prison. We don’t have nearly enough time to view the cells and read the messages left by former inmates; the tour guide, who is quite a good speaker actually, seems to love having a 'captive' audience and goes on and on and on. But it is worth the trip. Both on the way to and from the island we see seals and penguins swimming in the ocean. My 27-yr-old niece squeals like a 5-year-old when she spots the penguins. I’m not sure which is cuter, Ahren or the birds.



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

See the tiny people?See the tiny people?
See the tiny people?

There are actually few handrails on the trails.
City centerCity center
City center

In the afternoon after we leave Table Mountain, we tour downtown Cape Town.
Rough surf pounds Robben IslandRough surf pounds Robben Island
Rough surf pounds Robben Island

Later in the afternoon, some of us tour the prison island where Nelson Mandela was held.


Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0617s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb