CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA (Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens)--Wednesday, February 26, 2014


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town » KIrstenbosch
February 26th 2014
Published: March 24th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Capetown, South Africa--Wednesday, February 26th. Afternoon tour of Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens, World Heritage Site. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CHRISITNA!

After lunch we walked with Ann to get her car out of the parking garage. We finished lunch later than we expected and so we were pushing it to get to the gardens by three to be able to get a pre-arranged by Ann golf cart tour. Unfortunately, we were just a bit late due to HEAVY going home traffic. Ann surprised us with tickets she had already purchased and we went inside. It was quickly obvious that I was not going to see much of the gardens as they are planted basically uphill on the side of Table Mountain and the afternoon heat was extremely hot.

As we were walking along an aisle of Camphor trees planted in 1898 by Cecil Rhodes (it was from his original estate that the gardens were formed) we saw a golf cart tour with only two passengers. Ann went down to ask the guide if we may join the tour only to discover that this was a private tour but the people were very nice and said they didn’t mind. We then split the tour cost with them and away we went. This garden is not to be missed! Everything was beautiful with many proteus of different kinds and sizes in bloom.

We finished the tour and walked through a hot house with various succulents on display. It really reminded us of the walk we took with Christopher and LeeLi at Marina Bay Botanical Gardens in Singapore. We then sat down at a little “tea” shop for some drinks and try to cool off. By this time, our tushies were really dragging and we declined Ann’s kind invitation to have dinner together. She drove us back to the hotel where we snacked in our room and went right to bed. We were really glad we had the opportunity to spend time with both of our Cape Town friends.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.447s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1308s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb