the numbers


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town » Cape Flats
January 23rd 2009
Published: February 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

We went back to Delft today to try to mark all of the shebeens in a couple more sectors with Maggie’s help in guiding. One of the first places where we stopped had a tiny ambulance and a police car parked out front, and a bunch of people were gathered around. Maggie got out to talk to them and reported that a man had been stabbed in the shebeen only a few minutes before. We saw him walk out with the assistance of others, blood stains on his button down shirt. He slowly climbed into the back of the ambulance as we drove away.

That was the most excitement that happened today in Delft. The afternoon was spent back in Mitchell’s Plain. This time Maggie brought her friend Moegisen, who she referred to as a “he-she”, or a transvestite. He was tall and thin, wearing faded jeans and a fitted orange t-shirt and eyeliner. He/she led us around a few more neighborhoods, pointing out tik houses, shebeens, or places that had all of the above. At the end of the afternoon we made arrangements to continue tomorrow and set a pay rate—50 Rand per hour (about $5).

Nothing else exciting happened in Mitchell’s Plain, except for a kid peeing on the sidewalk while facing the street and talking to his friend.

But I learned quite a bit about Derek today, our favorite research assistant so far. He spent 15 years in prison (for what I do not yet know). He told us all about prison and the prison gang system. There are the 26s, the 27s, and the 28s. Each of them specializes in a certain type of crime, such as robbery, murder, or rape. Guys join the gang when they first go to prison, and they usually remain in the gang once they get out. Derek was in the 27s, but gave up gang life the second time he was in prison. He even started an organization for prisoners against violence against women and children. He got out about a year and a half ago and is now trying to follow a new direction in his life and to make a living through legitimate means.

I asked him if he was ever harassed by white prison guards, since he was in there partly during apartheid years. He had been, although I did not get any further details. He said, “All guards were considered white because they wore the guard uniform.”

It’s kind of strange to be in the presence of an ex con and gang member, but I suppose if anyone is going to know the illegal markets in these communities and can “protect” us while we wonder and drive around, it would be him.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.201s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1305s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb