Cape Point and Penguins


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Boulders Beach
September 20th 2019
Published: September 21st 2019
Edit Blog Post

A long and interesting day trip today around the Cape Peninsula, and even though we started out in cold, windy weather, we returned to Cape Town in bright sunshine, with a few spots of rain on the way (maybe we are really in Melbourne ?).
We first drove along the Atlantic coastline, through the expensive beach side suburbs (for the 3rd time, but heading south this time, so a different perspective). Couldn't see the Twelve Apostles today, too much cloud. After passing Hout Bay, we then drove along Chapman's Peak Drive, a scenic 9km road with 114 curves! Had a photo stop overlooking Chapman's Bay, then in to the middle of the peninsula, past an ostrich farm, to the Cape Peninsula National Park. There are virtually no trees, just "fynbos" as it is too windy. Between the park entrance and Cape Point, the bus driver spotted two Cape Mountain Zebra - surprisingly hard to see, given they are striped. After arriving at Cape Point, the place where the Atlantic and Indian Oceans "meet", we rode The Flying Dutchman Funicular up to the lighthouse (well, almost, still lots of steps to the lighthouse). Great views of Cape Point (the south western tip of the African continent), and the Cape of Good Hope.

Then on to Simon's Town for lunch - 3 courses, nice seafood and Malva pudding - a South African creation - like sponge pudding. A short walk from the restaurant was Boulders Beach, home to a colony of African Penguins. Many photos later, it was back on the bus headed back to Cape Town. Saw a whale (sort of) just after leaving Simon's Town, very close to shore. Along the way we passed the back of Table Mountain, and could see the Constantia Valley where we were on Monday, and also the prison where they took Nelson Mandela after he was removed from Robben Island. Also caught glimpses through the trees of Newlands Stadium, the home of cricket and rugby in Cape Town.

Dinner with Maurice again, we cannot get over how cheap and good the food and wine has been.

Then had to pack our bags, off to Kruger tomorrow!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Steps up to the lighthouseSteps up to the lighthouse
Steps up to the lighthouse

No, I did not go up them, Trina did!
Flying Dutchman FunicularFlying Dutchman Funicular
Flying Dutchman Funicular

Meeting the one going up, when you are going down!


Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb