Penguins


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Boulders Beach
December 22nd 2018
Published: December 22nd 2018
Edit Blog Post

After another excellent breakfast we headed to Muizenberg Beach. Hugely popular even on this grey Friday. The colourful bathing boxes and white sand with long rolling waves are probably more impressive on a better day (and to someone who hasn't always lived near the world's greatest beaches).

Heading back around False Bay we stopped at Kalk Bay where we enjoyed a Devonshire Tea by the train line in an old carriage - Expresso 73. Strolled along the foreshore to the harbour where the fish market encourages a couple of seals to hang about. There is also a mini light house. Lots of little shops to explore if you're into that and Ice Cafe has a huge assortment of flavors and the steamy heat meant a double scoop didn't seem ott. Fishoek and St James are also along this side of the bay.

Over to Kommertjie (pronounced commetky) for a few hundred steps up the Slangkop lighthouse.

We took a detour through the military area to check out a big gun with a great view.

Lunch at Bertha's where various buskers serenaded us as we sat looking across Simon's Town harbour.

After realising the penguins we were lucky enough to see on first day were just a few stragglers from the colony we decided to head to Boulder Beach. Amazing! The beach itself is just gorgeous. Little protected patches of sand between giant boulders. The number of penguins is mind blowing. They clearly feel safe and most don't even acknowledge the passing by of people. We had penguins sitting on the beach near us, swimming by us and just hanging around on almost every available surface. There were many moulting and even a few nesting.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

PenguinsPenguins
Penguins

They are there


Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1074s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb