The Big Hole


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Northern Cape » Kimberley
October 22nd 2012
Published: October 31st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Hey Bloggers, i trust you are well.



Today i want to tell you about my experience at The Big Hole,Open Mine or Kimberley Mine.



This trip started when i visited my family in Kimberley for the first time. That was in 2008. I was excited because at the time ive never been in another provinve before besides my own. I took this trip with my father and my sister. To have a better experience we took a bus to view more of the towns we drove through. The day we went to the Kimberley Mine Hole it was extremely hot, as it usually is hot in the Northern Cape. We met our tour guide and she took us through the mine. it was amazing! The Big Hole is an open pit and underground mine and it is claimed to be the largest hole excvated by hand. isnt that amazing? To know that something so spectacular is in my own country! i felt so proud. The first diamonds were found on Colesberg on the farm Vooruitzigt belonging to the De Beer brothers. The hole was dug by miners from july 1871 to 1914. Up to 50 000 miners dug, finding 2720 kilograms of diamonds. We were taken underground into the mines where we got to see what it was like for the miners to be working there. it was extremely loud and hollow down there. We then took an elevator up to view the big hole. It must have been the smallest elevator I have ever seen it could only take a few people up at a time and you had to be very still whilst inside it. It was actually a bit scary but i loved it at the same time. The view we saw when we reached the top was amazing. We learnt that the hole has a surface of 17 hectares and is 463 metres wide.its 240 metres deep.



This was an amazing experience and a gorgeous attraction. Apparently it might be registed as a world Heritage Site. Lets keep our thumbs up that it does.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0672s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb