THREE Cheetah Hunting


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Mpumalanga » Skukuza
October 20th 2013
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -24.9854, 31.6018

Raining again and we are moving to Lower Sabie. Decided to go for a short drive and see if the rain would let up. Saw one large elephant feeding on the side of the road. Came back and hiked the "rhino trail" around the perimeter of the camp. Was interesting and at one point part of the electric fence was sparking. Don't know what caused this!

Packed up in the rain and headed to Lower Sabie. Decided to stay on the tar roads and had quite a day. Saw a great number of rhino on this road. There was one with a baby and some in the river. We came across a large group of ground hornbill. They are always so interesting to watch. Saw a mother and baby zebra. The young animals are always so interesting to watch their antics.

We came upon a vehicle that was stopped. We stopped to see what they were looking at and they said they were looking at a bird; not sure what it was but told us there was a cheetah on the road between the second Nalpe Boulder turnoff and the Shitlhave dam turnoff. Of course, OFF we went to see if it was still there.

Not only was it still there but there were actually three cheetah hunting and moving together. We watched them for a while until we finally lost sight of them.

Drove on back toward Lower Sabie and got to see a klipspringer on the way up amongst the rocks. As we neared Lower Sabie we saw a nyala, lots of hipppos and a wood stork. Right before we got to gate, cars were stopped and as we got closer you could see there was a lion sitting out in the middle of the road! As we approached, it got up and moved to the side of road with four other lions.

Lower Sabie is one of the most popular camps and the camping area is one of the smallest so it fills up quite fast. The only way we were able to get in there was to stay in one of the huts. Huts was a misnomer as it really was a motel like setting but was OK. We spread the wet tent around to dry and went for a short game drive and then to dinner. After dinner we joined our neighbors at an outdoor fire they had going. Had pleasant time sharing travel stories before heading off to bed.



Additional photos below
Photos: 156, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0354s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb