Pearls Spotted Owlet, Baby Elepant Nursing


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Mpumalanga » Skukuza
October 19th 2013
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -24.9854, 31.6018

Up and ready for adventure even though it was raining. We decided to take a road to a waterhole but there was not much happening there. We were not able to continue on the road because it was blocked off. We went back and took another side road which turned out to be a great adventure road. Glad we have experience on this kind of road.

We were coming down off a hill when Robert saw a bird fly into a tree and signaled for me to stop the vehicle. It was a pearl spotted owlet! They are very tiny and have what looks like eyes on the back of their head! Spent a little bit of time watching it as it was looking around.

Came off the road and headed back to camp. As we got near the camp we came up on a mother elephant with a baby that was nursing. It appeared that this was possibly a newborn because it was so very tiny. The mother also seemed to be very tired and did not seem to mind any of the cars that were stopping to take pictures.

Spent the rest of the day working on travel stories. Amazing thing when we came back to our tent someone had set their tent up right on top of ours! Really, their tent was up against one of our tent stakes.



Additional photos below
Photos: 144, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 9; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb