Young Lions close, Little Leopard After Warthog


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Mpumalanga » Skukuza
June 26th 2016
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -24.9854, 31.6018

Out the gate and head down the gravel road near the T junction to see if the leopard is to be found. No leopard so head on down toward the Lower Sabie bridge. Stop at one of the pull outs and see a very beautiful Goliath heron down in the water.

Then here come seven lions walking down the middle of the road. We think they may be the same group of young lions we saw a year earlier at this very same spot. Follow them and then they turn around and we are now right beside them and the largest of the young males makes a move toward our car. Fortunately was like a elephant false charge!

Back to check out the leopard that was hanging out at the gully near the T junction to Skukuza. Went down to the river road and saw the leopard again.

More driving and saw rhino and a secretary bird. Drove down toward the Phabeni gate and saw a dead leopard on the side of the road. Was confirmed later that it was indeed dead. Probably had been hit by a car.

Saw a klipspringer and then to the dam near the Phabeni entrance and got to watch the elephants jousting out in the dam there. Was very interesting to watch.

Back to where we had been seeing the leopard at the bridge over a gully on Phabeni road. Quite the leopard jam as usual and unfortunately there was a slightly unhinged woman that was making a lot of noise, screaming at people and generally making a nuisance of herself. Let her be and enjoyed the leopard before moving on.




Additional photos below
Photos: 77, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0363s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb