Leopard sighting, don’t fall out of the Land Rover


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Mpumalanga » Sabi Sands
November 16th 2008
Published: November 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Even Alan struggles to wake up for our 4th morning game drive at Lion Sands. Today, 5 am seems incredibly early to both of us as we enjoy the comfort of our bed at Ivory Lodge.

Once we’re settled in the Land Rover, Enoch points the vehicle towards the river road. He’s looking for leopard. On the way, we see hippo, giraffe, waterbuck and elephant but so far, no leopard.

Then, he gets the call. Lions are on the move. And, where do you think they’re headed? An elephant breakfast waits for them at the smelly watering hole.

When we arrive, the lion and his brother are taking turns eating. They’ve dragged the carcass behind a tree. Mr. Lonely Lion is asleep in the road, his stomach bulging with food. Babies from the pride arrive, jumping on top of him.

“Wake up, wake up, we want to play,” they seem to say.

Mr. Lonely Lion looks at our Land Rover. “Who woke me up?” he snarls.

Enoch parks the vehicle while we observe the lions. He laughs at our attempts to keep from gagging at the dead elephant’s sickening smell.

Suddenly the radio blares, “Leopard sighting near Sabi Sabi.”

“Hold on to your hats. I’ll be driving a little fast,” Enoch says. The Land Rover speeds over the dirt trails, lurching left and right as we hold on tight.

Joining a group of Lion Sands Land Rovers, everyone strains to see the leopard. Hiding behind several trees, his markings provide the perfect camouflage. Squinting my eyes, I think I see the leopard but there is no hope of photographing him or her.

Later, Enoch drives one more time by the lion feast. The brothers have changed places. The one in the road sits up, looks intently at Alan then suddenly flops over, too sleepy and full to care about him.

After breakfast, Alan and I wait in the reception area for a ride to Skukuza airport and the next part of our safari. We’re informed that the plane will be arriving early.

The Lion Sands employee who will be driving us to the plane turns and says, “I must drive quickly so that you don’t miss your plane. I hope you won’t mind.”

Alan and I hold on to our hats, keeping an eye on the luggage in the back of the Land Rover, as we speed through the bush on our second wild ride of the morning.

Next stop, Madikwe Hills in the northwestern corner of South Africa near the border with Botswana. And, yes, we make it to the plane in plenty of time.




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0583s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb