Tusk Tusk


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Mpumalanga » Malelane
August 10th 2015
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -25.5008, 31.5068

Story Disclaimer: We have had trouble with our signal and are helplessly behind in posting stories and pictures. This particular story seems to be the tipping point. We did see the Big 5 this day but the pictures are hard to find and up load so please excuse the lack of pictures for this particular story. There are plenty for others down the road!!!!!

Break camp and head toward Lower Sabie doing some wildlife viewing as we went. Wanted to get there as early as possible to get the best possible site we could. Along the road we saw four rhino in various places. Were getting near Lower Sabie and there was a jam along the river. What are you looking at? "There is a leopard in the muddle by the green tree." Only problem was there were a great number of green trees. Finally with the help of another person we were able to find the leopard. It was very well camouflaged by the trees and branches here and there. Watched it for awhile and then continued on our way. Saw some very nice nyala as we were heading down the road.

Another jam of cars and we were rewarded by two lions lying in the sand in the middle of the river. There could have been more but we were intent on getting to Lower Sabie! Along the way we also saw numerous elephants but not as many as we have seen in years past. We also saw a fairly large buffalo herd up the side of the riverbank.

Got to Lower Sabie and our favorite spot was open right by the ablutions and cooking area. Got set up and fixed lunch, nap and then a walk along the fence looking out to the river. There were lots of elephants getting a nice cool drink in the water along with hippos lounging on the shore.

Decided to go for an evening drive and drove toward the Lubylube bridge to check to see if there were any leopard to be seen where we had seen them before. Nothing there but were told where there were two very nice large lions across the river. Watched them for awhile and then headed back to camp.

Decided to eat at Mugg and Bean but the wind was really blowing and so we could not eat in our regular place. The place we sat was unfortunately right under where the bats were. Will not sit there again. They have changed the menu somewhat from last year and some of the things we enjoyed were not longer on the menu!



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

on the road to Lower Sabieon the road to Lower Sabie
on the road to Lower Sabie

as the leopard disappears into the grass
on the road to Lower Sabieon the road to Lower Sabie
on the road to Lower Sabie

a very wise old man
on the road to Lower Sabieon the road to Lower Sabie
on the road to Lower Sabie

is that a log or lion on their back? How do people find these animals....so amazing to come up on a jam of cars and they point to something like this!


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0304s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb