Rock Fig


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Mpumalanga » Kruger National Park
September 9th 2016
Published: October 8th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Oh to have friends who love nature!

Rock Fig safari lodge is based in the Timbavati and at the moment sleeps 8 people in 4 rondavels. The main entertaining area over looks a small dam and a water hole. There is a pool from which you can also see any visitors who would like a drink.

We had driven from Joburg into the Timbavati and met the rest of our group, who had flown into Hoedspruit, our drive was approx 5 hours. As soon as we arrived I knew this was going to be an awesome experience. For me it was the first time at Rock Fig. For the rest of the group, including the owners, this was a yearly trip. Our luggage was taken to our accommodation and we met everyone at the sofa area in front of the kitchen. The weather was gorgeous.

All of our food and drink had been pre ordered, which or course meant that the beers were cold and ready to be consumed. A quick change of clothes and we were off on the game viewing vehicle for our first look for animals.

This whole trip was special and we were totally spoiled by knowing the owners, this however did lead to some crazy behaviour and lots of memories.

The bush was so dry, grazers had turned to browsing and elephants where busy pushing trees, hundreds of year old, over to find water in the roots. I know its the circle of life but a hippo had died on the Monday by Rock Fig due to lack of water.

On our first game drive of the holiday we were so lucky to spot not 1 but 2 leopard and these 2 were busy mating. I don't like to brag but this wasn't going to be our only leopard encounter. So lucky.

As the evening drew on and we lost the leopard we found a spot to stop and have sun downers. The river bed provided a great setting, beers and wine the order of the evening.

Upon our return to the lodge the table was laid, dinner partly cooked, we just had to braai and the fire in the boma already burning. Absolute bliss.

For those of us who were going on the morning game drive, Isaac woke you at 05h30 and then at 06h00 after a quick coffee and pack of the cooler box AKA green handbag we were off on our drive.

BIG 5 was the order for the day, buffalo, elephant, lion, rhino and of course leopard. No 2 drives were the same, stoping in different areas for coffees or drinks, different animals doing different things.

As I mentioned earlier we saw leopards mating, however we also saw the leopard called Rock Fig, a second loan male leopard and then on the final day another pair of mating leopard. Elephants, we saw mothers with their calfs and 2 huge bull elephants, one of which meant we had to leave the road we were driving along so that he could pass.

We had a bush walk planned for 1 afternoon. Lead by Martin and Isaac we quietly walked through the bush, we did get close to giraffe but the walk saw us focusing more on





http://www.rockfig.co.za


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0699s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb