South Africa to Zimbabwe Day 9


Advertisement
Published: September 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Back to Kruger

Tuesday, August 24. We load into safari vehicles at 5:45 am and drive into Kruger Park by 6 am. The morning is not as eventful a day as yesterday. Saw the usual: elephant, buffalo, eagle, zebra, wildebeest, and giraffe. But not in abundance. Our one unusual spotting is a hyena which is lying in the grass right next to the road. It stays put, posing for as long as we’re stopped. Back to the hotel just after lunch. We’ll go out again at 2:30.

Another giraffe? Ho hum

Might be a good time to mention how quickly one becomes inured to the site of these wonderful animals. The first time we spot an elephant in the distance, our hearts pound. Now we see one and it’s “OK an elephant, what else is there?”

This is more like it

What an amazing afternoon. We charge through the park and pull up to a pride of about six lions tearing apart what looks to have been an impala. They’re lying in the bush, but their heads and the occasional bone show quite well. Difficult to capture in photos though because of the high grass. Their growls stir the air. Unnerving, but exciting at the same time. We watch for about 20 minutes before moving on. This is truly a special moment.

OK. Those are just cute

Besides spotting the "usual", we see Kudu antelope and at one point dwarf mongoose, which scurry across the road in front of us and then high tail it for a huge six-foot-high termite mound. The tour guide explains they’re diving in for an afternoon snack of termite eggs. As day turns to dusk, we see more and more herd animals, impalas, which are an absolutely beautiful animal, are everywhere. A troop of baboons march across the road, and vultures settle to rest sharing a tree with an eagle.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Vervet monkey at lodgeVervet monkey at lodge
Vervet monkey at lodge

Just a tiny bit of color if you look closely


9th September 2010

Awesome
Awesome photos and great stories that go along. The wine country in Africa was incredible. Like you said, doesn't look like Africa. The store on the sea's was scary! Glad you made it through :) Kruger park was so beautiful and amazing wildlife. I feel like i'm there enjoying the trip with you! Cheers Kenneth
9th September 2010

Thanks Kenneth. I really appreciate you taking the time to read and comment on my journals. More to come. S

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb