Wild dogs Of Timbavati


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Limpopo » Hoedspruit
October 12th 2013
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -24.349, 30.9542

We were leaving for Skukuza and decided to drive the Timbavati Road once more and see what we could see. Besides, it is a very scenic road to travel and would be fun no matter what we saw. The road follows the Timbavati River a great deal of the time and so there are chances of seeing something down getting a drink of water. Yesterday when we had driven this road we saw lots of interesting birds and other game.

We were driving along and saw cars stopped on the side of the road. One was turned sideways and the gentleman in it had one of those giant cameras. All we could see were some vultures on the ground feeding on something. We looked around and then saw people in a car pull up and ask the other people what they were seeing. We waited until they drove on and then drove up to the car and asked them what they were seeing and they told us there had been some wild dogs there and they were waiting to see if they came back because the carcass was not totally eaten.

We drove on slowly looking to see if we could see anything and then Robert sees a head pop up and here they come one at a time! Heads were up and you could see they were sniffing the air as if they were picking up a scent. Very intent and I was glad I was not out in the open because they did look serious.

One by one they appeared and then as a group they crossed the road and then circled back and then headed back down toward the river we presume. We drove back and forth to see if we could catch sight of them but did not get another look at them.

A few words about the wild dogs that I have found from reading about them in a book I picked up in the park store at Crocodile Bridge. It had an entire chapter devoted to the painted dog. Their latin name is lycaon pictus which means painted wolf. This name comes from their coloration pattern. According to one source, no two animals have the exact same pattern of coloration.

They are a distant cousin to the wolf and domestic dog but are the only canid that has only four toes and no dewclaw like other canids. They are ferocious hunters and have a kill rate of 80percent according to one source whereas the "king of the jungle" has only a 30percent when hunting. As a result, they like the wolf, have a bad reputation. There are some that are trying to get their name changed to "painted dog" or "painted wolf." They travel in packs and their social behavior is very much like the wolf packs we have observed back home.

It was a very marvelous thing to observe them and we are always on the lookout for more opportunities to experience them!

When we stopped at the overlook of the river, we saw a group of elephants in the river. So beautiful to see. We continued on and there was a rhino out grazing on the roadside. We are seeing a lot of rhino in the southern end of the park. Stopped and got some supplies at Satara and headed on toward Skukuza and saw cars pulled over on the side of the road and someone said there was a lion............looking out in the distance and no, it was right down on the ground beside us! Remember, always look down.

Then there were three more rhino one of them a young one and then another rhino as we drove along. Driving along and people signal to us that up head are 4 lions lying under some trees across the river and then further on there is a large herd of 20+ elephants. By the time we got to where the lions were, the elephants were moving through the area but across the river from the lions. What a nice sight.

Got to Skukuza and set up camp. It was the hottest day we have had so far and shade was something that was hard to find. Temperature 112f/43c. We went on afternoon game drive because it was cooler than some of the other options. Saw several herds of elephants mainly hanging out in the river.

Back to camp and dinner and then to the tent. Once again, am very thankful for the powerpoint and the fan!!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 190, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0259s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb